Decoy spread gadgets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For all you duck hunters out there, what are some of your favorite gadgets to add to your spread to make it more lifelike? I hate still water on a calm day. If you ever just sit back and watch ducks, there are always ripples in the water and some kind of movement going on. Had someone buy this for me this year at Christmas.
WON-010219-550.png

The idea was good, but execution is kind of poor. The legs spin in alternate directions, causing the decoy to sit there and spin in circles, way too fast, not to mention it will soak you when you walk up to turn it off. First day I used it, I threw it out in the spread and it did a pretty good job of breaking the surface of the water, but it flat out looked stupid out there. Had lots of birds come in for a better look, but they would all flare when they got a better look at it and none would commit. I'm hunting a roosting place, so the beginning of my hunts are in full light and get darker as the hunt goes on, opposite from a lot of others. After having 5 or 6 groups of birds make a quick exit, I pulled it from the spread and birds started coming in closer. Once the sun got past the horizon, I put it back in the spread and it seemed to suck the birds in well. I would call it pretty good in low light, but the damn thing is still too loud for my liking. Watched a few birds try to sit right on top of it, but once they heard the noise, they did a 180. I don't think I will be using it too much. I have considered rewiring it to where the legs spin in the same direction and it doesn't spin in circles like a retard.

My favorite gadget is a Mallard Machine, similar to this one.
www.mackspw.com_ItemImages_Large_MAL63825.jpg

Mine is probably 10 years old and has 4 attachments instead of three. I don't really use it like instructed, instead I attach two decoys to it on the front and back of the deeks, so they don't really duck their heads down like they are feeding. Attaching both ends just makes them bob up and down and throws ripples all around them. There is no noise and I can control it easily by hand and not have to walk out in the spread to turn it on or off. The downside is that is a big long cable that controls it and I have to roll and unroll it, which gets your arm wet, and it is a bit heavy and bulky. Good outweighs the bad on that, so it is something that I always use. A true remote control for it would be much better.

So what do y'all like to throw out there?

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd wondered about the mallard machine myself. I just use two mojos, a mallard and a teal (wings spin faster), although this year I have yet to have much luck with them going. The birds have become well trained as to what mojos are it seems. My favorite "gadget" for duck hunting thus far has been the texas rigging. Praise be to all things that are holy. It's saved so much time and freezing of the hands just the few times I've been out this season. $40 well spent to rig my two dozen decoys.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I forgot all about the mojo. I'm kind of same as you, it used to be killer, but I rarely use mine and if I do it is in the early season. Mine is not remote like the newer ones are, so I can't turn it on to get their attention, then turn it off when they get close. Read lots about Texas rigging, but never done it. Apparently I'm missing out!

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hen and drake Mojo on the outer left or right edge of the decoy spread always worked great for me. Calm water is no good. Use a pull string on the static decoys to add some ripples and movement in the spread.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'd pass up 5 mediocre water hunts for a good field hunt. Mojo's are deadly in the field. We usually don't have a problem with too little wind to move the decoys here though.

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I made several motion decoys using 12v bilge pumps and sealed batteries. Always worked great for me having a feeder butt twitching and a couple of regular dekes swimming in circles. Brings'em in like a fat kid to a Hersey's bar....

Nothing screams poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape

walker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't used the mojos is a few years, they got wise and wouldn't commit. I play the wind, use a quiver butt if its still and use either 5 or 50 dekes. I do have a jerk rig I use now and then with a single drake that I can make look like its feeding or attacking another deke.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd pass up 5 mediocre water hunts for a good field hunt. Mojo's are deadly in the field. We usually don't have a problem with too little wind to move the decoys here though.

Trade you 5 mediocre water hunts for a good field hunt! Hunted lots of geese afield, but never ducks. I can hook you up with mediocre water hunts! :)

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Trade you 5 mediocre water hunts for a good field hunt! Hunted lots of geese afield, but never ducks. I can hook you up with mediocre water hunts! :)

Still waiting on you to show up at my door for the last couple years now, but you never do...............shooting time is 7:43 in the morning, be here :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom