Dabbling duck VS Divers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I killed one goldeneye and one mallard this morning so I did an experiment this evening.
Plucked the birds and breasted them out but left the plucked skin on.

Then seasoned them and grilled them to medium rare. I kept track of which bird was which but neither my wife nor I could taste a difference. Both tasted good and we agreed we would eat it like that again. The goldeneye was a little tougher that was the only difference.

IMO the divers aren’t worth eating story is a load of nonsense. Honestly sans common mergansers I’ve never had bad eating experiences with divers.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am pretty fortunate because I have neighbors that have friends who love duck. Every duck I shoot, they get. So I keep below possession limits and never have to eat one. They will even take geese too which is nice.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Leaving the skin on makes all the difference in the world imo. Common mergansers are nothing more that sea gull or a crow imo lol. Never eaten a goldeneye but have eaten plenty of redheads, canvasbacks and shovelers and they're no different than a mallard or a wigeon. Teal are still the best though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom