Deer feeder grain mix options & Feed store questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahlosojoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have also tried all the mixes and various seeds in food plots. Acorns are the prefered feed in my area and I think every where else. I still plant my plots and use my feeder but I am working on a long range plan. You can purchase Saw Tooth Oak switches from the OK Forestry Dept for about $60. per hundred. Saw Tooth Oaks are known for dependable acorn production after about 10 years. In my never to be humble opinion this is the way to go. Just hope I live long enough to reap the benefits!! Joe

Reaction score
Is sawtooth oak considered "sweet mast" or "bitter mast"? I've heard white oak is sweet, so stake out white oak trees when hunting. There are a few of these where I hunt.

I have two spots in the woods, with three apple trees each (of varying kinds, with varying ripening dates). But until they mature enough to bear fruit, I'm gonna keep the feeders out.

Actually, one of the 6 died - but I still have planted:

-Granny Smith (large / full sized)
-Jonathan (miniature)
-Crabapple
-Fuji (large, I think)
-Gala (also large, I think)

The other day, while hunting at deep fork, there was the biggest by far persimmon thickets I've ever seen - we were munching on those - tasty. Also, found and ate some nice blackberries the other day while scouting - a few still just ripe - mmmmm, mmm!

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hard Red Winter Wheat?

Sorry, but I've done lots of the hi dollar custom mixes.
But then again what doesn't work in my area might work in yours.
This isn't food plot mix. Mix for feeder. Would be fairly close to the mix already stated, but for some who don't want to try and store a ton all season long.
Sure, but only if it makes sense to do so - I.e. only if we can get a quantity discount - know any grain coops with a quantity discount that can beat the prices I posted above in post #1? As I say, I think next time I'm running with about 60% corn, and 40% milo.
As stated above, not so much for the discount, but many co ops have a minimum amount before they mix for free. The group buy might benefit those who would like to purchase 200-500 pounds and not have to store a bunch all season long.
I have also tried all the mixes and various seeds in food plots. Acorns are the prefered feed in my area and I think every where else. I still plant my plots and use my feeder but I am working on a long range plan. You can purchase Saw Tooth Oak switches from the OK Forestry Dept for about $60. per hundred. Saw Tooth Oaks are known for dependable acorn production after about 10 years. In my never to be humble opinion this is the way to go. Just hope I live long enough to reap the benefits!! Joe
I agree that oak tree plantings are a good long term goal. I am part of the NWTF and our chapter has planted over 300 oak tree seedlings in the last few years. My idea was for a feeder mix for a right now attraction. As far as the mature oaks already in the area, I picked a group of mature oaks and cut out other competing woody vegetation. I bury around 5 pounds of fertilizer in 3 or 4 spots in the trees drip line, once in the early spring and once late summer. It is rumored to produce more quantity and better tasting acorns.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This isn't food plot mix. Mix for feeder. Would be fairly close to the mix already stated, but for some who don't want to try and store a ton all season long.
As stated above, not so much for the discount, but many co ops have a minimum amount before they mix for free. The group buy might benefit those who would like to purchase 200-500 pounds and not have to store a bunch all season long.
QUOTE]

I gottcha.
I know buying grains for a feed mix are MUCH cheaper getting it dropped into a trailer at the elevator than buying bags at a feed store.
Last year, the feed stores and wallyworld were selling corn for 7 to 9 bucks for a 40 lb bag. It won't be any cheaper this year.
I just looked in tonights paper, and corn is $3.16 per bushel, milo is $ 3.11 and beans are $9.35.
A bushel of corn weighs aprox, 60 lbs give or take with the moisture content.
One can see the savings, buying in bulk.

I have about 10 of the open top steel drums in my roundtop to store corn and milo in. I'll mix it in 5 gal buckets and take to the feeder.
55gal corn = 6.875bu @ 359.5lbs

Latest posts

Top Bottom