deer hunting antler restriction

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there a group lobbying for the institution of of some kind of antler restriction for Oklahoma? I personally would like to join or start a committee to have something put in place. I do my part to enhance the quality of deer on my property by passing on anything less than 8 points, however there is no doubt in my mind that they fall into the crosshairs of my neighbors as soon as they cross the fence. I would support a 6 point minimum and increase the allowed number of does taken. I think the restriction should be for rifle only, anyone bow or muzzleloader hunting shouldn't fall under the same restriction. any thoughts or insight into the possible affects on the deer population would be appreciated.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there a group lobbying for the institution of of some kind of antler restriction for Oklahoma? I personally would like to join or start a committee to have something put in place. I do my part to enhance the quality of deer on my property by passing on anything less than 8 points, however there is no doubt in my mind that they fall into the crosshairs of my neighbors as soon as they cross the fence. I would support a 6 point minimum and increase the allowed number of does taken. I think the restriction should be for rifle only, anyone bow or muzzleloader hunting shouldn't fall under the same restriction. any thoughts or insight into the possible affects on the deer population would be appreciated.

Wouldn't this have the effect of artificially allowing more non-dominant bucks to survive and breed into the gene pool thus possibly lowering the overall quality of the population?

This has probably been discussed a million times over the years... what are the normal arguments and concensus?

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wouldn't this have the effect of artificially allowing more non-dominant bucks to survive and breed into the gene pool thus possibly lowering the overall quality of the population?

This has probably been discussed a million times over the years... what are the normal arguments and concensus?

You've got it.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the minimum antler point is a joke. I have seen a mature 6 point buck that wouldn't be legal buck to harvest but yet is a cull buck because of genetics. There is a 18 page big game report of 2008 Oklahoma deer harvest. As it shows bucks in the 1.5 years class the antler points were widely varied. You can't tell me just because a buck has 10 points that it should be harvested, it may be an exceptional 1.5 year old. I don't have the article in front of me and I believe there was a chart that had number of deer in the 1.5 age group and corresponding antler points from 1 to 13 points. reference information

walker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know what you mean. The guy on the land next to mine said one time, "If it's brown, it's down". In five years I have only seen two nice wall hangers because of this. The genetics are there but they dont live long enough.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will add this. I am not one who shoots the first buck I see. I took several classes in wildlife management in college and pulled jaw bones for the ODWC opening weekend of rifle season. I know a little bit about this topic and for the record I harvested all does last year, and my father shot the only buck off our place that we let it attain 4.5 years of age. It field dressed at 192 pounds and was a 10 point main frame with split G2s making it a 12 point.

When I was first hunting a buck with antlers was a buck and I was proud as could be with a basket racked buck. I don't think that experience should be taken away from a teenage kid on his first hunting trip.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you see a two and a half year old six pointer, he'll NEVER be a wall hanger.
But he'll do for the table which is the original idea that grounds all hunting.
The aesthetic judgments we make that distinguish a good buck from a bad buck
have nothing to do with the actual health of the herd.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Arkansas put a restriction into effect a few years ago.I would be curious to know how it has affected their herd if at all.
I for one think it would be a good idea and talked to some biologists about it a few years ago and their response was "a 1.5 year old deer can have 8 points". Yes, but is this the norm. I don't think so.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Arkansas put a restriction into effect a few years ago.I would be curious to know how it has affected their herd if at all.
I for one think it would be a good idea and talked to some biologists about it a few years ago and their response was "a 1.5 year old deer can have 8 points". Yes, but is this the norm. I don't think so.

You are right an 8 point 1.5 year old is not the norm, but these 1.5 year old deer with good racks are more likely to produce a wall hanger at a mature age than a spike or fork horn at 1.5 years of age. 4 year study of 104 whitetail bucks

A definition of a cull buck or a trophy is going to differ greatly with hunters. But I believe the antler point restriction is the wrong way to go about managing the deer herd. I will say that it would be easier than trying to get hunters to correctly age deer on the hoof and to use that as a restriction. It is much easier for many to count 6 points than to correctly age a mature deer.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

To answer original question, I haven't heard of any groups lobbying for an antler point restriction. Although it wouldn't surprise me if a group was pushing for it. Something was tried for a few southwestern Oklahoma counties in 2008 I believe.
I would rather see a regulation that an antlerless deer must be taken before an antlered deer could be taken. A 1 buck limit would greatly make hunters a little more choosy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom