DEER not coming to feeders anymore????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOTLDPONY

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
have had the feeders burning for about 2 months now every week 100-200 pics per cam. went this week NO pics and the corn is in huge piles under the feeder?????? what gives? had a herd of 6-8 does and 4 bucks that you could set your watch to and now nothing in one week?

what could of happend?

Cat?
other food source (nothing is growing on the fields yet), accorns? (have not seen any yet)
got pissed and moved on?

ideas are welcome. thanks!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Even if you haven't seen them, there are a acorns in your area.
We don't have any in my hunting area.
But I leased an area years ago. When the acorns dropped(this time of year) the deer never came to a corn feeder. I dropped the lease the next year.

APeterson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just stuck a nice doe off my feeder this morning. She had a belly full of corn. There are green acorns all over the area but looks like the deer north of Guthrie still prefer the corn.

An additional note is that the "Rage" broadheads I am trying this year left a gaping hole in the side of the deer that a baseball bat could have fit through.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm seeing the same thing on my lease. deer activity at the feeders has decreased. However the deer are still there moving around. If you can setup on a trail you will be set. We have a ton of pictures of a 10pt buck on our lease. However no pictures recently near a feeder. We have seen him twice outside of bow range. If it were rifle season hed be at the taxidermist.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, lots of acorns started dropping this past week in my area.

I have a good size oak on my residence, and it started dropping them I noticed yesterday.

Also, possible newb question: Do deer eat pecans? It's normally too early for pecans, but since it's been so dry, the two trees on my property have been dropping them prematurely the last month or so.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They will eat pecans if they are real hungry, but not often. In my front yard, I have a burr oak, several blackjacks, and two pecan trees. The yard deer will clean up the acorns, leaving the pecans on the ground.

B

BEAR79

Out at our lease in Sparks deer are avoiding the feeders like crazy. They are all around the feeders just feeding on acorns and have no desire to try the corn. Hopefully once the acorns are gone the deer will start hitting the feeders again. The other problem is HOGS, they are hitting the feeders on a regular basis all night long. I wonder if the deer can smell the hogs and that is why they avoid them as well?

Swine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm thinking the same thing Bear... once the hogs find a constant food source, hard to get them to leave without drastic intervention. Might be time to put up a coral trap and see how many we can get rid of.

Latest posts

Top Bottom