Deer Season - I've got the itch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I set a camera at lexington for 3 days..no issues...but another hunter had 1 stolen and another cam had the sd card taken from it.
mine was well placed i guess.
I hunt public land..not too many issues..but i do walk much much further than most hunters are willing to walk.

orangeRcode

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm getting anxious too. Taking my boy out to sight in his new 3030 this weekend. He will be hunting in north central OK on youth weekend. It's his first year to hunt deer. Don't know who's more excited, me or him.

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I spent my furlough Friday putting together 2 ladder stands I scored on clearance last year. I also built up 8 new arrows and sharpened all my broad heads. This nice cool weather has really jump started my deer season prep activities.

Cant wait for Oct. 1st

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Slung a few arrows today. Debating on takin the bow in to get restring or not. I've got it shootin just like I want but it's been at least 2 years since it was changed.

garret01

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Here's a question. What time do you guys get out to your spot in the mornings? I show up about 30 minutes before sun up. Can be a little tough trecking through public land in the pitch black.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's a question. What time do you guys get out to your spot in the mornings? I show up about 30 minutes before sun up. Can be a little tough trecking through public land in the pitch black.

It varies completely on weather, hunting location, weapon etc. General rule of thumb, hour and a half before official sunrise. Keep in mind, legal shooting time is 30 minutes before legal sunrise.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It varies completely on weather, hunting location, weapon etc. General rule of thumb, hour and a half before official sunrise. Keep in mind, legal shooting time is 30 minutes before legal sunrise.

I like to be in position an hour before legal shooting time. Take a little nap, and be ready when it's time.

dowmace

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm ready to do what I always do.

Get to the blind at 6:45 and turn the heater on. Wait for the feeder to run around 7, the deer will show up around 7:10. Pick the one I want shoot him/her put them in the bed of the truck and go down the road 5 miles to the processor. He will field dress and everything for me so I'm back at the house and in bed around 8:30. Wait a week for the call to get my delicious meat.

orangeRcode

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm ready to do what I always do.

Get to the blind at 6:45 and turn the heater on. Wait for the feeder to run around 7, the deer will show up around 7:10. Pick the one I want shoot him/her put them in the bed of the truck and go down the road 5 miles to the processor. He will field dress and everything for me so I'm back at the house and in bed around 8:30. Wait a week for the call to get my delicious meat.

Sounds like you got it all set up. I generally have to work a bit harder than that for mine.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yeah, so do we and we hunt our private land. We enjoy the work it takes to harvest and field dress a white tail.

We are doing the entire butchering process this year for every deer we take. We really treasure the connection to the animal and the skill and patience it takes to selectivley harvest a nice animal. We try very hard to use as much of it was we can. The only part we've not done ourselves is tan the hides. Just don't have the skillset for that. . . but that may change.

Latest posts

Top Bottom