Deer Season - I've got the itch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I try to get out there 1hr before first light, but I have had some of my best public land hunting showing up at 8-830. Last year, I partied too hard and was hung over and feeling like crap. My buddy was out early like I was suppose to be. I walked 80 yrds into the woods and arrowed a nice doe, drug her out, and headed home......my buddy was pissed....lol. He spent several hours freezing his butt off.....sucker haha

I just try to keep it easy and relaxed. If I wake up late, I just show up a little later than expected. I used to get too wrapped up into the hunt and it wasn't much fun anymore. Now I just go when I can and play it by ear.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm ready to do what I always do.

Get to the blind at 6:45 and turn the heater on. Wait for the feeder to run around 7, the deer will show up around 7:10. Pick the one I want shoot him/her put them in the bed of the truck and go down the road 5 miles to the processor. He will field dress and everything for me so I'm back at the house and in bed around 8:30. Wait a week for the call to get my delicious meat.

Gee, sounds like a blast. Heard of Pavlov's dogs?

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
one thing I would like to touch base on is hunting food plots in the morning I have seen a lot people try and sneak in on a food plot before day light the problem with that is unless its very cold and windy the deer will be bedded in or very close to the food plot and you scare the deer off before it even gets day light.The doe will more then likely come back that morning and feed but not a mature buck unless you have a hot doe that comes across.You will do better hunting between bedding and food source on morning hunts or wait for daylight then seek in on your food plot so you can see if there is deer already on it.I am sure there is a lot fo hunters already knows this,i am just writing this because I see a lot of hunters out there making this mistake

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will say this. I posted earlier that I get out an hour before daylight, and see tons of deer early season. The real trophy's that I've taken have been late morning to early afternoon. Sometimes during a driving rainstorm. During rut, you have to stay in the stand from day light to dark. Its a long day, and I read a lot of books during that time, but its pay'd off over the years.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's a challenge! Sometimes I hunt public land during MZ season, when I do, I get there well before daylight, and hike about a mile back in with a climbing stand. (Tree Lounge, you can't get more comfortable)
The real pain is when you knock one or two down, and have to drag it all back out. It's worth it, though, and most guys won't walk that far from the parking lot, plus all their activity just pushes the deer (and sometimes hogs) out to those far places. Having a game cart at the truck is a good idea.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ted has it right. I hunt public land as well. I like to get in there about 30 mins prior to shooting light. I find it impossible to get up early enough to get in stand prior to that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom