Deer Season - I've got the itch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
well i don't have the itch as bad as my 11yr old son does...lol.

last year was his first year to do his own thing with rifle. now he is ready to step up to bow he says. he started shooting 4H this past year and out back in the yard on the bag and last weekend he decided to buy himself a Glendel buck target, with his saved up B-day money (they had them on sale). he says he has it all figured out and it ain't that hard, i told him to let me get that on tape before we head out...lol.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had this doe in the yard about 2pm today helping me with making sure any low hanging fruit on the apple tree is gone.

image-759173250.jpg

$$$$$

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I too have the itch. It's gonna be especially tough because I've made a promise to myself to stay out of the woods as much as I can stand before the season starts. The last few years, curiousity has got the best of me, and I couldn't go long without checking the cams. I bought a bunch of cams with good battery life to help me keep the promise. I'm also going to try to stay away from the woods after about the first week of bow season, unless I have a big'n on cam that isn't nocturnal or we get a nice cold front. I don't usually see much then anyway. So far, the rain has been doing a good job of keeping me out. I couldn't get down there with GraveDigger if I had to.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Set out a couple of cams on the ranch last week and have these two knuckleheads coming in regularly. First is a decent 10 pt, matching crab claws on each side. I think he is probably 2-3 years old now. He will be a fine looking deer in 2 years, still a bit young to put on the hit list.

questmhsa.com_r00s7a_pincher.jpg

Second guy I'm not sure on. Heavily palmated on his left side, little trash down low on the right side. Any guesses on his age?

questmhsa.com_r00s7a_palm8.jpg

Don't think either are shooter quality, but for the first camera pics of the year I'm glad to see them.

nhagar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if I were to guess his age I would say around 3-4 years old. doesn't quite have the muscle tone a more mature buck has. mainly looks a little narrow at front shoulders. I like to see the muscle and wider front body. Stomach line is still pretty straight. From what I can tell a more mature buck kinda gets a saggy full stomach line look. and his nose is still pretty straight. older bucks start to get a hump in the nose as they get older. Now Please inform me if incorrect but that's how I kinda guess the age of one.

regardless both will be some nice deer in a year or two. I may have to link up a few of some I have been watching

ok here is a pic kinda showing what I am talking about.
you can see how the buck on left looks smaller in size in the stomach area. and how he much less muscle tone. also look how the buck on right his nose is kinda rounded over. I would guess him around 4-5years old. still in his prime. also notice how the deer on left looks like his legs are real long and lanky. deer on right looks like he has shorter legs. he doesn't he just has muscle filling them out and a lower stomach line being more mature.

I currently have my eyes on a different monster I would rather have and would like for this one to live another year or two. mainly cause them horns are awesome would like him to continue breeding.

edited to add picture for reference to what I was talking about be it right or wrong lol.

Last edited:

08H3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Makes me glad I got some private land that ain't let me down yet. Got 2 deer a year for the last couple years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom