Defensive Practical Rifle Match Sat July 7 OCR&GC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMA-1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds interesting! A few questions, if you will indulge my inexperience.

I've shot practical pistol - is this essentially the same thing but with rifles? Any caliber or power factor requirements? What's a typical round count for a match? How many mags are recommended? Separate divisions for iron vs optic sights?

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds interesting! A few questions, if you will indulge my inexperience.

I've shot practical pistol - is this essentially the same thing but with rifles? Any caliber or power factor requirements? What's a typical round count for a match? How many mags are recommended? Separate divisions for iron vs optic sights?

Since no one else has replied I will. This is one of my favorite matches to shoot. I will probably make it out this weekend.

It is similar to an IDPA match except with rifles and pistols - Five stages with mostly close quarters type shooting (<25 yards). One stage if they use the bigger bay may have some targets out to about 75 yards. Usually 1 or 2 stages require pistol. Rifle targets are usually all IDPA paper targets, and pistol is a mix of paper and steel (Texas star, poppers, etc.)

Round count is typically about 70-100 rifle and 25-50 pistol, depending on how trigger-happy you are or how much you miss. I usually bring 200 rifle and 100 pistol just to be safe.

Two rifle mags (assuming 20-30 round mags) are all you will need. I think the largest round count for a single stage I have seen was 32, most are about 15. Some stages may start with a partial mag to force you to reload. A pistol and 2 or 3 mags should be plenty. You don't need a chest rig or a belt set up with rifle mag holders, etc., but can certainly use them if you want. I usually just put my spare mag in my pocket. A sling for your rifle and holster for pistol are highly recommended, but you can get by without.

The majority of shooters will be running an AR, with several AK's in the mix, and a few others. I have shot my 9mm Beretta CX4 a few times. There are separate divisions for iron sights, optics, magnified optics, rimfire, pistol caliber carbine, and C&R. For pistol - 9mm and up, no power factor requirement, just has to knock over the steel.

Hope this is helpful, and hope to see you there.

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hope to go. I say "hope" because iv been trying to go since May but end up not being able to at the last minute. If i do go ill be the teen with the FNH hat on and the WASR.

Latest posts

Top Bottom