defining trigger feel... pull weight vs smooth

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
defining trigger feel... pull weight vs smooth

coming from the air gun world where 1lb 8oz Rekord trigger sets the standard. my hunting rifle, a 50's Weatherby .270 is set at 1lb 8oz to match.

10 meter match air gun triggers are set down to 4oz range. my 10 meter pistol is set to 10 oz @ 500+ shots per week...

so when I recently got my first AR-15 with it's 5lb+ creepy trigger... thought there must be something wrong... after doing a trigger job, feel really improved.

measured trigger, surprisingly weight only marginally improved to 4lb. due to all the polishing all the creep was gone. but I was floored weight was still 4lbs. it feels so smooth, higher weight no longer was a factor.

after firing trigger a few hundred cycles... things smoothed out even more. now I'm no longer even desiring a match grade 3lb trigger for my AR.

repeat the experience for my new Gold Cup 1911... after carefully polishing the creepy trigger and sear. weight went from 4lb 8oz down to 2lb 15oz. most importantly trigger is dead reliable and smooth with zero creep.

this is how I discovered trigger weight is not everything. smooth is way more important and on some type weapons... a higher weight may be more desirable.

so what's your preference in trigger weight?
is smooth more important to you than trigger weight?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Smooth is king. Weight will factor in depending upon application. I wouldn't want a 4# pull on a 10M match air gun, but I wouldn't want a sub 2# trigger on a hunting rifle either.

For defense work, I prefer 4-6#.

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I prefer WC's 3.5lb triggers on 1911s.

I like my 15oz trigger on my .22lr rifle.

Smooth and no creep are much more important than weight to me, but I still don't like anything heavier than 4.5lbs.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 2c coming from being a guide and watching guys get pumped I believe your trigger on your 270 is way to light!! The atmosphere in which you use your pellet gun and rifle is very different.

And for your 1911 if you are going to carry it for SD you need a trigger that has not been "worked" on. If you believe Mas Ayoob and the court cases that he has worked on that involve "worked" trigers.

For SD Im with GTG 4-6lbs and a nice crisp break. for Glock's thats a stock trigger or a 3.5 connector and a #1 NY trigger.

As you have found a good crisp 3-4 lb trigger is Much better for hunting and for SD go with a 4-6,lb triger that in the long haul will be much better than a " hair" trigger I have found that once you get used to a crisp trigger weight is not all that big of a factor.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
would have to agree with most everything below.

normally a 1lb 8oz trigger is way too light for hunting. but that's the normal weight that I practice with. have put in ten's of thousands of rounds with my Beeman R1, R7, R9, Pro Elite, etc... all set at 1lb 8 oz.

yes atmosphere is different from a live target. but enough trigger time with an air rifle will definitely improve anyone. If one is not willing to put in thousands of rounds of practice time. they've got no business with a trigger that light.

have already taken loads of deer over the years with the old weatherby .270. the 1lb 8oz trigger was set up by Weatherby in the 50's. a typical year I may only fire 8-9 rounds on the Weatherby .270. 4-6 shots to check scope is still on. then one shot per deer.

polishing done on my Gold Cup 1911 and AR-15 involved removal of the smallest amount of material possible on sear. a few ten thousands at most with an Arkansas white rock (1200 grit) most friction reduction was achieved by stoning every part that rubs against another part.

need to note... before anyone works on any sear. one needs to understand the differences between a positive, neutral and negative sear. otherwise it's best to take your gun to a qualified gunsmith.

may change my mind later, but not planing on carrying my 1911 for SD... S&W 337PD for CCW. prefer 337PD's 9lb double action for possible pressure cooker situations.

My 2c coming from being a guide and watching guys get pumped I believe your trigger on your 270 is way to light!! The atmosphere in which you use your pellet gun and rifle is very different.

And for your 1911 if you are going to carry it for SD you need a trigger that has not been "worked" on. If you believe Mas Ayoob and the court cases that he has worked on that involve "worked" trigers.

For SD Im with GTG 4-6lbs and a nice crisp break. for Glock's thats a stock trigger or a 3.5 connector and a #1 NY trigger.

As you have found a good crisp 3-4 lb trigger is Much better for hunting and for SD go with a 4-6,lb triger that in the long haul will be much better than a " hair" trigger I have found that once you get used to a crisp trigger weight is not all that big of a factor.

Latest posts

Top Bottom