DEQ cautions the public about eating fish from Oklahoma lakes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://newsok.com/deq-cautions-the-public-about-eating-fish-from-oklahoma-lakes/article/5554694

"The Oklahoma Department of Environmental Quality last week issued fish consumption advisories on 14 additional lakes.

That makes 54 lakes in the state now where the agency has suggested that people should pay attention to the amount of fish they eat from those lakes..."

I was not aware that this issue exists. I knew about McGee Creek but did not know we had 54 lakes where mercury concentration in fish was a concern. Just passing along.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this.
Here's the fish eating guide:
http://www.deq.state.ok.us/CSDnew/fish/PDFs/2017_MercuryinFish.pdf

Fish in these Oklahoma lakes have been tested and have lower levels of mercury. Fish from these lakes can be eaten often without excessive exposure to mercury.

Bell Cow
Lake Chandler
Lake Dripping Springs
Lake Lake Ellsworth
Lake Eucha
Ft. Cobb
Ft. Gibson
Foss Reservoir
Lake Fuqua
Grand Lake
Guthrie City Lake
Lake Hefner
Holdenville Lake
Lake Hudson
John Wells Lake
Lake Konawa
Keystone Reservoir Lake
Lawtonka New Spiro
Lake Okemah
Lake Okmulgee
Lake Lake Oolagah
Lake Overholser
Robert S. Kerr Reservoir
Shawnee Twin Lakes
Sooner Lake
Lake Spavinaw
Lake Talawanda #1 Lake Tenkiller
Lake Texoma
Lake Thunderbird
Lake WD Mayo
Wes Watkins Reservoir

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this.
Here's the fish eating guide:
http://www.deq.state.ok.us/CSDnew/fish/PDFs/2017_MercuryinFish.pdf

Fish in these Oklahoma lakes have been tested and have lower levels of mercury. Fish from these lakes can be eaten often without excessive exposure to mercury.

Bell Cow
Lake Chandler
Lake Dripping Springs
Lake Lake Ellsworth
Lake Eucha
Ft. Cobb
Ft. Gibson
Foss Reservoir
Lake Fuqua
Grand Lake
Guthrie City Lake
Lake Hefner
Holdenville Lake
Lake Hudson
John Wells Lake
Lake Konawa
Keystone Reservoir Lake
Lawtonka New Spiro
Lake Okemah
Lake Okmulgee
Lake Lake Oolagah
Lake Overholser
Robert S. Kerr Reservoir
Shawnee Twin Lakes
Sooner Lake
Lake Spavinaw
Lake Talawanda #1 Lake Tenkiller
Lake Texoma
Lake Thunderbird
Lake WD Mayo
Wes Watkins Reservoir

For the record, Sooner lake (not enough Mercury to worry about) is owned by OGE and supplies cooling water for an 1100 MW coal fired power plant.
We were forced by Obamas EPA to spend millions installing mercury detection equipment, using thousands of hours developing procedures to satisfy Obamas tree hugging environmental wacko EPA.
After more than a year of testing at our plant and others across the country, we were quietly told to mothball the equipment. Not enough mercury to measure.
So the next time some kinky haired wako tree hugger in Jesus boots tells you mercury comes from coal fired power plants you can give them the middle finger.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Might go fishing tomorrow after work and eat the fish from the same lakes I've eaten for a lifetime. Most of the places i fish are former strip mine's

Same thing Mercury John told us. He really didn't worry until he started losing his teeth and hair. He swore it musta been somethin' else.....

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've occasionally heard of mercury levels in Oklahoma fish since I was a kid. They always claimed is was naturally occurring and just part of Oklahoma geology. Sounds like they are going to change the dialog that's been going on for the last 45 years that I've been paying attention and make it politically correct and man caused. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Top Bottom