digital caliper

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

Just to bump this...
I have two now at home. Don't know how I lived without them for so long!

I agree, I too had on idea what I was missing before I has some digital calipers. I use them all the time for all sorts of things. I use them far more around the house or while working of projects than I do reloading.

Good luck,

Alan

gaseous maximus

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have 3 sets of harbor freight digitals (10 bucks on sale), and they measure .0005 decimal. and .00 metric. I also have a starret dial caliper, in like new cond. which I never use.A couple things I've not seen mentioned, is 1. the ease in which a decimal dem. can be converted to metric or vice versa with a digital. 2. in my expereince, (30+ years machine & t&d shop) the digital will take more abuse, think chips and crud.

T.R.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used a vernier caliper for years, until I got old and could no longer see which marks were lined up without a magnifying glass. I picked up a Brown and Sharpe off Ebay at a fair price and never looked back. It reads to four decimal places.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe most people already know this, but display range and accuracy are not the same thing.
It is possible to buy a cheap instrument that displays .xxx but is not even accurate to .01.
For reloading, precision to .001 with accuracy +/- .0005 is desirable, especially when loading hot and shooting at long range.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe most people already know this, but display range and accuracy are not the same thing.
It is possible to buy a cheap instrument that displays .xxx but is not even accurate to .01.
For reloading, precision to .001 with accuracy +/- .0005 is desirable, especially when loading hot and shooting at long range.

This^^^
As a machinist I can tell you we are only as good as the tools we work with. A mic or caliper that has .0000000001 increments don't mean crap if they arnt calibrated, won't hole 0 or you don't know how to use them. Now, calipers especially digital are pretty idiot proof. But that don't help calibration. It's always a good idea to go ahead and buy a good precision 1" standard to check you calipers with, I'd check them every day you use them. Then if your using them for long periods of time I'd check them multiple time while in use.
For me, I'm pretty good about holding stuff while reloading to +/- .001 (I'm an anal machinist). So that said my tools need to read in the thousands if not tenths.

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But that don't help calibration. It's always a good idea to go ahead and buy a good precision 1" standard to check you calipers with, I'd check them every day you use them.

Yea, but then you have to account for temp changes when using your gage block for calibration, then adjust accordingly. :wink2:

I know, an old thread, but I'm checking out the reloading game.

Latest posts

Top Bottom