digital caliper

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like the dial myself..I like to watch the needle move.
This movement from .001" to the .002 line is a a long ways..
You can easily decide if it is 1/2 of that .001" or even 1/4" of that .001"
Mine were purchased over 20 years ago..closer to 25,, and were $75 from Grainger
Money well spent..always read right on the money.

Everyone has their preference ..As long as they get the job at hand accomplished correctly that is all that matters,

Maverick1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have dial calipers....used the digital for a while and just didn't trust them. And don't buy those from Harbor freight . Cheap knock off stuff has its place for stuff but if it were me I much rather spend the extra $10-$15 for a quality brand.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
machinist I apprenticed under would take a set of calibers and break them in half.. He was of the opinion that they were all too un reliable to use in his shop. Standard mike was all he would let us use.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most that read out to the .0001" will not read there they display "0" and "5" in that spot. So a reading would be .0010",.0015",.0020". I have never seen a one read anything other than that if it had four decimal places. Digitals are like flashlights the batteries are always dead when you need them. Where digitals really shine in my book is being able to zero them where ever you want. So if your OAL is 1.135" you can zero on 1.135". Then the calipers will just show you are .002" too long or .001" to short. Less chance of reading it wrong in my book. You can get a nice set of name brand dials from a pawn shop for 20 bucks usually.

Vernier's are where it is at.

I use to know an old man that could read verniers to the .001" resolution faster than I could read dials. He had been carrying that same pair in his back pocket for probably 30 years or better. People like that are a lost generation. Before you know it they wont even teach kids to read dial calipers and micrometers all the vo-techs will buy digitals.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most that read out to the .0001" will not read there they display "0" and "5" in that spot. So a reading would be .0010",.0015",.0020". I have never seen a one read anything other than that if it had four decimal places. Digitals are like flashlights the batteries are always dead when you need them. Where digitals really shine in my book is being able to zero them where ever you want. So if your OAL is 1.135" you can zero on 1.135". Then the calipers will just show you are .002" too long or .001" to short. Less chance of reading it wrong in my book. You can get a nice set of name brand dials from a pawn shop for 20 bucks usually.

Vernier's are where it is at.

I use to know an old man that could read verniers to the .001" resolution faster than I could read dials. He had been carrying that same pair in his back pocket for probably 30 years or better. People like that are a lost generation. Before you know it they wont even teach kids to read dial calipers and micrometers all the vo-techs will buy digitals.

I used to be able to use a slide rule for all my calculations also, been years since I've picked one up. It would come back if I needed to...

Flyinghigh

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are some of the gages that they have now better that using a caliper? I've seen them for checking the primer packets and also to check the neck. Looking at getting into reloading just reading up on it before I buy my setup.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The plastic dial caliper that came with my RCBS kit does evrything I need a caliper to do. Since i got my nice digital one I never use the dial.

A good one will be used for many things besides reloading. I have a hard time reading the numbers on drill bits with my old eyes. I let my Mitutoyo read the diameter for me. That is just one other use.

Flyinghigh

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback and that will be something I need to figure out when I buy one. What all do I need it for.
I'm not sure if it's the eyes getting old. I try to look at it as my eyes have seen so much in there life time that they are just taking a break and not working as hard.

Latest posts

Top Bottom