Digital Photography RKIs ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.C. Kerns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shot film for over 30 years with a plain full manual control Pentax K1000 camera and I want those same manual controls on a digital DSLR.

I have a chance to pick up a Nikon D100 that is advertised to have manual control, but I've never handled one.

I know it's a discontinued model, but it comes from a reliable source and the price is very attractive. I'm no pro photog, but I need something more than hobby-level gear.

Thanks in advance.

JC Kerns in Duncan

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not sure what your question is, but I'll say that I've never seen a DSLR that didn't have a full-manual mode, as well as aperture-priority and shutter-priority semi-automatic modes.

The D100 is practically ancient; I've seen the D720 body going for just a couple hundred dollars used. My D70 (probably fifteen years old, and still newer than the D100) recently gave up the ghost, and isn't worth fixing because digital evolves so quickly. If you're paying more than about $50 for the D100 body, you're overpaying (and I'm probably being generous at that price).

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dave is right, most every DSLR will have manual controls in some form or other. The more 'pro-sumer' the camera, the more similar it will be to the K1000 and the more prominent the controls will be (i.e. you don't have to rely on menus to change things like aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc).

Mirrorless cameras are becoming very popular. The fuji X line has a retro style and are smaller than many DSLRs since they are based on the rangefinder style camera.

And as he said, a D1000 is pretty old. I don't know if you have bought into the nikon lens line yet, but you can get very good cameras for relatively little $ these days.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah at 6.1MP that D100 has a lower rating than my phone. Unless you are picking it up for about 30 bucks I wouldn't bother.

There are a ton of options out there for new models, can generally pick up a dual lens kit with a DSLR at Sam's for around 800. I ended up going with a Canon T3i when I got mine and it has worked great. I want to get a good long range lens around 500mm and maybe a macro lens but the kit came with a one that is something like 20mm to 80mm and another that runs 80mm to 200mm so I can take quite a range of pictures with it.

And just a little bit of information compared to the older SLR's you can set the DLSR's into a three to five picture burst mode that will take one to two steps above and below for the lighting that can be processed into one image creating a nice HDR picture. Here is one I took a couple years ago and processed to hdr http://files.ventshop.net/Pictures/Mypics/HDR/southsunset.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom