DirecTV Gemini

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had Directv for many years, finally dumped them last year. Have Dish now about the same shows for less than half what I was paying Directv

I didn't realize that wasn't a thing. I turn on Dish and my homepage has Dish, Netflix, Prime, Hulu, Roku, YouTube, etc... right there.

I just choose which one I want to watch. Is that different from this DirecTV thing?

Yep! That's it! I'm calling Dish on Monday! 😇 Better to ask for foregiveness, right guys??!?!? 😇😇

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any of you have any experience with this new thing?
https://www.directv.com/technology/gemini/
View attachment 426308
Supposed to be able to access your satellite, streaming, and other TV services from one device.
They say it’s free, one year extension to your current contract.
ROKU is free, they have premium networks, and pay per view programs, you can buy, but much of the dozens of networks are free! Some have commercials, some don't. If you have WIFI, just buy the streaming stick, at Walmart or Amazon for about $30.00, no dish required.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ROKU is free, they have premium networks, and pay per view programs, you can buy, but much of the dozens of networks are free! Some have commercials, some don't. If you have WIFI, just buy the streaming stick, at Walmart or Amazon for about $30.00, no dish required.
We use Roku in the RV. Works great when you have WiFi.
RV parks are notorious for having crappy WiFi. Sometimes it can be fixed with boosters, sometimes a hotspot is required. Other times a cell booster with an adapter from the phone via an HDMI cord has to be used.
We’ve become pretty adept at keeping connected on the road.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you already have DirecTV then you might as well give it a try. If you don't already have DirecTV, heed my warning and don't mess with them. These days it's all about streaming and over the air (OTA) to the point that even DirecTV has a streaming version of its service. But they're a horrible company to deal with (details upon request) and I'd avoid at all cost. There are so many better options these days.

Last year I signed up for and tried almost every locals streaming service. I also bought an app-based local OTA DVR. The winner for me was Youtube TV and a variety of premium services. By having a Roku streaming device I'm able to do the "one input" thing that the DTV ad talks about. It has apps for every service or channel you can imagine including it's own free content and channels. And best of all you're not dealing with DirecTV!

I'm techy and have recent first hand experience of almost every service available. Let me know if you have any questions!

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep! That's it! I'm calling Dish on Monday! 😇 Better to ask for foregiveness, right guys??!?!? 😇😇

If you have good internet I'd strongly consider the streaming services over any satellite. Even the satellite services have streaming services these days so it's pretty clear where the future lies. We dumped DirecTV over a year ago and it has been a major improvement and definitely cheaper. One of the great things about streaming is that multiple people in a home can view the content on a multitude of non-proprietary devices: smart TVs, Roku streaming devices, Apple TVs, iPhone/iPads, Android either in the home or away. These are all things you own and not rent.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have Roku and the wife likes Netflix and I have a free year of Peacock. Between those two and all the free stuff there is far more TV than we will watch. Everything from just out to real classics.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score

So I'm thinking it's my TV that puts all that stuff up there in one spot...not Dish. After looking at it that appears to be that case. I don't really know because I never watch TV.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I'm thinking it's my TV that puts all that stuff up there in one spot...not Dish. After looking at it that appears to be that case. I don't really know because I never watch TV.

That's okay. I'm on a mission to drive that man crazy. (That'll just take a second. 😉) We're getting a smart tv ... And an antenna ... And a Roku ... Bark orders at me at 9 o'clock in the morning like I'm some kind of indentured servant ... 😈😈

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
We use Roku in the RV. Works great when you have WiFi.
RV parks are notorious for having crappy WiFi. Sometimes it can be fixed with boosters, sometimes a hotspot is required. Other times a cell booster with an adapter from the phone via an HDMI cord has to be used.
We’ve become pretty adept at keeping connected on the road.
We camped at Bluegrass Festivals for years, and used a dish. This worked well for that, we also had satellite TV, both companies, at different times, so we could just take our receiver in the RV. This worked out well, then. I don't think ROKU was available back then. plus some of these festivals were in some deep dark HOLLOW, where you couldn't even get a cell signal, so WIFI would have been out of thew question!

mtnboomr

Questionable Character
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have any of those. I do have DirecTV Streaming, which is different from DirecTV. I have AT&T fiber optic and a ROKU box.

Those "antennas" on the roof are a joke.

Latest posts

Top Bottom