Life Alert, Help!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As some of you know, my mom fell and broke her femur in September. Since she has been down with the broken leg, she has been in and out of the hospital and rehab for the past 5 months with pneumonia, low potassium, a fib, you name it she has had it. I think once her body couldn’t move and do her day to day things, it just started to break down. She has been living with my brother at his house in Edmond.
BUT…..she is doing much better now and we are taking her with us to Grand Lake where her house is. We are hopeful that she will be able to go back home permantely in the next few weeks.
I am thinking that she needs a Life Alert or some type of monitoring device that she can wear around her neck in case she falls again. Luckily some neighbors heard her scream when she fell and broke her leg and they called 911 immediately. I am worried that she may not be as lucky next time.

Anyone have any experience with these devices? I googled them and there are tons of companies that offer this service but don’t really know the difference from one to the other.

Thanks for any help on this.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can’t help Dancer but you’re making a good decision. My in-laws had one for FIL. He fell after using the commode and got himself stuck in the tub. No way she could get him out so she poked the button. FD showed up and got the poor old guy vertical.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Please research the transmitter device batteries. I used to lease a brand that had batteries that were made with unobtainium. They were a specific voltage and a specific size that no other battery could be substituted. I spent months looking online and in battery shops for the batteries and NEVER found a replacement. This, in turn, made the entire system inoperable.

Do you have an existing home alarm system? If so, call your alarm company and ask them about their recommendations for a system. If not, I personally, would go with the Life Alert.

Sig365CCW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Apple watches aren't a bad idea but depending on your relative it would be better to get something they DON'T have to remember to charge.
They don’t always detect falls either. My dad is 86 and fell while wearing his. He also managed to set it off while playing golf one day. 😂

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You may be at the crossroads of having to make a much bigger decision. All these alarms are good, but they won't keep your mom from falling, and if she falls, she may break a hip, and that could put her in a nursing home. Maybe time to start thinking about assisted living, that is 100% better than a nursing home. Talk to her GP. But it would not hurt to get out and shop for an assisted living facility, just for an ace in the hole. At her point in life, things can happen very quickly. Get your paper work in order, and get a DNR, and know how your mom feels about that, talk to her GP about how he feels about withholding medication. Sorry to get so serious, but the road ahead won't be easy, I wish luck, and prayers to you.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s been about 30 years since a cousin & I considered a Life Alert for an elderly uncle so things may have changed. Our issue then was he lived in a small town with an older phone system that could not support the LA service package. I tell you this because you may experience a similar challenge in the area around Grand Lake. Technology changes over the years may have addressed this limitation and you might find it to be the right decision.

Best wishes for your family going forward!

Latest posts

Top Bottom