Disarmed and handcuffed on a traffic stop.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bottom line is, any time a gun is handled, there is an inherint risk taken. That risk goes up when the gun is loaded, and if anyone is handling a firearm that they are unfamiliar with, and the condition is unknown (chambered or unchambered, safety on/off), I think the risk increases tenfold. The more that weapon is handled the more opportunity for an accident to occur. I have seen officers handled unloaded weapons with fingers on the trigger, or flashing people with the muzzle, with booger picker both on and off. I understand they just cleared their chamber, but accidents happen, and that one time they dont, you end up with a situation like what happened at OCSO's mini academy last week. Thats why we (gun owners) train so hard to break bad habits.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bottom line is, any time a gun is handled, there is an inherint risk taken. That risk goes up when the gun is loaded, and if anyone is handling a firearm that they are unfamiliar with, and the condition is unknown (chambered or unchambered, safety on/off), I think the risk increases tenfold. The more that weapon is handled the more opportunity for an accident to occur. I have seen officers handled unloaded weapons with fingers on the trigger, or flashing people with the muzzle, with booger picker both on and off. I understand they just cleared their chamber, but accidents happen, and that one time they dont, you end up with a situation like what happened at OCSO's mini academy last week. Thats why we (gun owners) train so hard to break bad habits.

+1... the safest place for a handgun is in the holster of it's owner.

fluxed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So my Ex wife just called me and said she was stopped for speeding by a Midwest City police officer. She presented her carry license immediately and informed the officer of the pistol she had with her. He then proceeded to disarm her and handcuff her "For his safety" without any cause whatsoever. What really gets me is she got the gun from me in the divorce and he wanted to know where the gun came from. He would not release the pistol back to her without her first giving him my information!!

To me this does not seem at all legal..?

She needs to lawyer up NOW! Dont speak to anyone or write a complaint at the PD. We have a constitution and it needs to be defended by EVERYONE. Handcuffing someone for this reason is actionable.

Also, he has zero point zero reason to touch her weapon if you say she was complying and was not involved in a crime. This officer is out of line for multiple reasons.

Walking away will not protect the rights of herself or others. This will just happen again.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand they just cleared their chamber, but accidents happen...
A bit more than 15 years ago, a gunsmith in the OKC area managed to (accidentally) shoot and kill himself with a pistol he'd just cleared. It had a bad extractor, so racking the slide left a live round in the chamber; when he was working on it, he got his finger inside the trigger guard with the muzzle aimed at his center of mass, and that was all she wrote...

Latest posts

Top Bottom