Do you like vintage Japanese motorcycles?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
My uncle and cousins always had Yamahas. One had a 350 and the other two were 250 Enduros. We were riding at Draper on weekends where it seemed there was always an ambulance stationed. Don't know how many hot tail pipes I've grabbed assisting fellow cliff climbers over the top. I never was the guy that tried a new spot on those cliffs because they had a nasty lip you had to break to "top over". We always had quite the time there. I enjoyed it when the F-4's flew over at low levels. You couldn't even feel your bike running with those bad boys overhead. I think I have performed about every wreck you can on a bike.

One weekend we went to Hinton to ride the river back and had a blast. I had my 175 standing on it's nose with the plug removed pumping water out of the cylinder when I looked up and saw a hood of a pickup with 454 in big letters headed right toward me. Well, the bike went to the left and I went to the right and the 454 hooded truck went in between. It was followed by several dune buggies. We later found out we had picked a race day for the local race club for our outing. It took awhile but we got back to town.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Started with a Honda super 90, then a hodaka Ace 90. After a few years got a RD-250 Yamaha that was a 2 stroke street screamer in its day.
Went to a 450 honda street bike, then got into bike drag racing. Ran a modified 75 Suzuki 750 water buffalo. First water cooled three cylinder ever. Used to race it at the old track at I-40 and Council road in OKC.
Left that sport, and got into speedway ice racing at the same location. It folded after a couple of years and I was stuck with a 125 yamaha alcohol burner that nobody would buy. Eventually used the engine in a gocart that was pretty quick on its own.
Did a 360 and bought the second year of the Honda Goldwing street cruiser. Rode that for 60,000 miles before selling it after laying it down three times in one year to prevent an accident. Lots of my flesh left on some asphalt.
Got into racing three wheelers running a Honda 250R while the oldest son ran a stroker 250R that CC'd out to a 200CC two stroke that tore up the 4 strokers that he was racing against. He was Ok state champion for 3 years running.
Still riding a Honda 250 SX, along with an Arctic Cat 500CC 4WD 4 wheeler. Love going to Little Sahara and cruising the dunes.
Off Road riding is a true pleasure.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started with a monkey wards mini bike then on to a honda 50. Not the little bike but about a 1969 model . Still have it in the barn and was going to restore it but haven't got to it yet.It's mostly complete but isn't running and hasn't ran in many years. Once I got that honda 125 it wasn't important. My Dad was always trading for the small street bikes. He had a nice 175 when I had the 50. I thought O could handle the 175 but layed it over in some wet grass in the back yard. Took me forever to get it back up. The other dirt bike i had was a 80's yamaha IT 250. It was fun to ride but keeping it out of the air was a challenge. I'd like to get another 250 to put around on the country roads. The 125 just doesn't carry the extra 100 lbs I weigh. I was a bean pole when a teen and thought it had lots of power.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had a couple of Harley Davidson Sportsters. But too many times I would get into a conversation with people about motorcycles, most of them would say, "Yeah, I used to have one. Until I crashed it and wrecked my knee. So I got rid of it."

So I got rid of mine BEFORE I crashed it and wrecked my knee. :pms2:

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennishoddy "bought the second year of the Honda Goldwing street cruiser. Rode that for 60,000 miles before selling it after laying it down three times in one year to prevent an accident. Lots of my flesh left on some asphalt."

Aw man. Been heavy street/highway riding 58 years, several hundred thousands of miles, only been down one time, rode my Cushman to HS one morning and had ice on the Admiral and Mingo traffic circle. Yep learned to slow down my first time on slick ice at 14yo. picked me and it up after we had slid off into the ditch and got on my way to school, never done that again. Had several street riders consitant after that, including some real hotrods, front tire up at 100mph, etc except for a 7mo period of time when I purchased an airplane in 1976 Thought it would replace street/highway riding, Wrong. Then here I am thinking about trying again thinking I need to back off the handlebars. Accidentally bought my first jeep through a member here. I can open it up and cruise down the road. Dogs and groceries in the back and still get some air, take off sideways in the ditches or elsewhere if I would like. SMFie, must be getting old. Or wiser. haha

Most likely will have a pristine 98 Goldwing Aspencade with 20K miles with a trailer for sale in the spring.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennishoddy "bought the second year of the Honda Goldwing street cruiser. Rode that for 60,000 miles before selling it after laying it down three times in one year to prevent an accident. Lots of my flesh left on some asphalt."

Aw man. Been heavy street/highway riding 58 years, several hundred thousands of miles, only been down one time, rode my Cushman to HS one morning and had ice on the Admiral and Mingo traffic circle. Yep learned to slow down my first time on slick ice at 14yo. picked me and it up after we had slid off into the ditch and got on my way to school, never done that again. Had several street riders consitant after that, including some real hotrods, front tire up at 100mph, etc except for a 7mo period of time when I purchased an airplane in 1976 Thought it would replace street/highway riding, Wrong. Then here I am thinking about trying again thinking I need to back off the handlebars. Accidentally bought my first jeep through a member here. I can open it up and cruise down the road. Dogs and groceries in the back and still get some air, take off sideways in the ditches or elsewhere if I would like. SMFie, must be getting old. Or wiser. haha

Most likely will have a pristine 98 Goldwing Aspencade with 20K miles with a trailer for sale in the spring.

It was a bad year. People either turning left in front of me or just pulling right out in front while crossing an intersection. Either lay it down or see how far I could fly. Always rode with the headlight on hi beam during the daytime too.
People just don’t watch for bikes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom