Do you prefer to shoot handgun or long gun at the range?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tulsacrittergetter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tough call. I try to limit myself to only 1 firearm when I go to the range, because I rarely have 2 - 3 hours to clean 3 or 4 guns that evening when I get home, and I don't like to wait until the next day. Shooting my 9mm and .380 is cheaper, and my son likes to shoot handguns more so when he goes with me, we shoot pistols and go to Tulsa Firearms. But by myself, I like to take an entire day and go up to Skiatook where one of my clients has some land and lets me shoot whenever (as part of a tradeout agreement because he couldn't afford a completely website makeover). On his land, I have 200 and 300 yard targets setup, as well as a small CQB range for when I want to plink with my 300 Blackout. Only thing that sucks is I have to pickup ALL of my brass and take down my targets every time I go, cause he has a lot of horses and livestock and such. So, I gotta walk yardages off every time I go which is lame. But, I prefer shooting my long guns mostly. Super fun.

I just wish I was as cool as BEASTEP and could do my own reloads....and maybe find that perfect load for my new AR-15 - .223 Wylde long gun (400 yards is long for me). Love that rifle.

The only shotgun I own is one that was handed down from my grandfather, and it's really old and I don't think it's meant to be shot anymore. So, I need to buy a shotgun I guess.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to make range days into work. I would shoot 2-4 long guns and 2-3 handguns. I would end up being at the range for several hours and spend a couple of hours cleaning everything. Now, I limit myself to 2 guns.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When you go to the range do you prefer to shoot pistol, rifle, or shotgun? It seems I shoot all 3 about the same amount.
Handgun is easier, takes less time to set things out and can be enjoyably shot at any place that is safe and legal to shoot. Rifles are fun but unless you have a good membership to a place with at least a 100 yard range or private property I just dont get the same enjoyment out of mine. I love when I can go to a 100 plus yard range but it is so rare and even then its kind of a pain. Everything is rushed if youre at a public range. You have to quickly tape or put up whole new targets and yeah... JMO.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pistol mostly. Rifle then shotgun after that. I need to learn long guns better.
Im with you Nikat Kimber, terrible with a long gun. I can actually almost the same groups with my pistol at 25 yards then my Rifle. Just dont use it enough because of frustrations I have listed earlier. Also ammo is more expensive so another reason I dont shoot a rifle as much, which that excuse doesnt hold as much water now that I have a PCC in 9mm. Really should practice with that on a 100 yard range.

Latest posts

Top Bottom