Does the .22-250 have enough power?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tried the Nosler 60 grain partition bullet, but it really didn't shoot well in my rifle. The Hornady 60 grainer shoots better, but I think I am running out of twist after 55 grains. My rifle is a 1969 vintage and I think it may have a 1-14 twist. I really wanted the Nosler bullet to work; seems like it ought to be the deal for deer hunting with the .22-250.

Cedar Creek

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go with .223. Cheaper, mass available practice ammo.
For deer, I agree with the others here, use the 60 - 64 gr pills. I have had GREAT success with the 62 gr. Rem PSP, 64 gr Winchester PSP, 63 gr Sierra HP, Barnes Vortx 55 gr HP solid copper. Out of my bolt action Rem, a friend's 8 yo son took his first deer at 235 yrds, neck shot, dropped in his tracks. My son has taken 2 deer, 110 yrds and 220 yrds. My 9 yo grand-daughter took her first deer, 1 shot, 175 yrds; 8 yo grandson, 1 shot 90 yrds. I have taken 5 deer all 1 shot kills from 100 to 280 yrds and 1 at 50 yrds that was 2 shots, the 2nd because it was getting close to dark and the buck was standing after the heart hit, I wanted to make sure he was down, so the 2nd shot through his ears dropped him in his tracks. One with my M4 at 80 yrds, 1 shot and he ran 20 yrds before dropping.
13 rounds of .223 fired = 12 deer cleanly taken
3 with Rem 62 gr PSP
2 with Win 64 gr PSP
4 with Barnes Vortx 55 gr HP solid copper
3 with Sierra 63 gr HP

BTW: My B-I-L has used nothing but the .22-250 for 40 yrs to hunt deer.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
**I've never shot a 22-250, so take this with a grain of salt**

Out of curiosity, why not go with a .243 Winchester? That was my first deer rifle and I was 12 when I got my first one. To this day, the .243 is my favorite round. Stupid fast and wide selection of bullets to tailor to fit your needs. Not much recoil and plenty of commercial ammo available. Enlighten me on why you would use a 22-250? Seems like the 22-250 is very critical for shot placement from what you guys are saying. No offense to the child here, but it would seem like that would be an unfavorable round to a younger shooter who maybe a little less concerned with critical shot placement. A slightly stronger round that is more forgiving with better power for general take down. (Caveat - all shot placement is critical for ethical harvesting). Let's say the child misses a couple inches fore or aft with a 22-250, the deer runs off and bleeds out somewhere farther off where you can't find it. You've wasted that life. If same shot hits with the .243 the deer drops way faster and easily recoverable due to more hydraulic pressure from the speed and power.

**once again, I've never shot or hunted with a 22-250, so this is me pontificating**

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, it can work.
My son got his first deer using a .223 that I hand loaded w/ a 65gr. Sierra GK. He practiced shooting under field conditions and could shoot about a 1 1/8" group off the bench. He shot his buck DRT and I had him hand me the rifle and I was able to get the second buck, which ran less than 50 yds. My son's shot was 63 or 67 yds.(measured) and my shot was around 80-90. He may step up to the .243 this year.
Bullet construction and shot placement are key.

I would not load too hot on the 22-250.

CBCollier

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
**I've never shot a 22-250, so take this with a grain of salt**

Out of curiosity, why not go with a .243 Winchester? That was my first deer rifle and I was 12 when I got my first one. To this day, the .243 is my favorite round. Stupid fast and wide selection of bullets to tailor to fit your needs. Not much recoil and plenty of commercial ammo available. Enlighten me on why you would use a 22-250? Seems like the 22-250 is very critical for shot placement from what you guys are saying. No offense to the child here, but it would seem like that would be an unfavorable round to a younger shooter who maybe a little less concerned with critical shot placement. A slightly stronger round that is more forgiving with better power for general take down. (Caveat - all shot placement is critical for ethical harvesting). Let's say the child misses a couple inches fore or aft with a 22-250, the deer runs off and bleeds out somewhere farther off where you can't find it. You've wasted that life. If same shot hits with the .243 the deer drops way faster and easily recoverable due to more hydraulic pressure from the speed and power.

**once again, I've never shot or hunted with a 22-250, so this is me pontificating**

This is my thought as well. I have a .243 and a .22-250, and while I guess I could use the .22-250, I have always picked up my .243 to deer hunt with. Every situation is different of course. I typically deer hunt in a more wooded area where shots over 150 yards are rare. My .22-250 is also a heavy barrel setup Savage that does not lend itself well to hikes in the woods.

For what it is worth, I bought my son a Handi Rifle in .357 Mag. Very little kick, relatively inexpensive to start with (in case the son or daughter does not take to deer hunting as well as you might hope) and has great stopping power as long as the shots are 100 yards or so.

Latest posts

Top Bottom