Does this mean I have to start casting my own bullets now?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Been casting since the late 70’s. It’s as much as a hobby in itself as reloading. My dad got me started and I’m still shooting 44’s that we casted up back then. I think we did about 5k or so.
I don’t shoot cast as much as I used to. Bullets were plentiful enough that I could shoot bullets that I bought. It’s about time to start meltin lead again…

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That I got shape is typical of Babbitt, a lead alloy used for bearings

you need a way to verify the hardness before running it through a gun

too hard or soft and you will have issues

molds are a challenge to make.
buy them if you can

you are time and money ahead

do your homework before investing in cast lead

for some things it makes sense
For others it does not

the start up cost is steep, just like a reloading press and dies.

then you keep playing and adding

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used a
1648395900011.png

for years and years. ended up not having a handle and I used vice grips.
I would melt and pour straight from that sauce pan.

No ladles needed.
In fact I had 2 ladles and used one 1 time and hated it. I would rather pour from the pot.

But like stated you can get deep into it as I have 2 Lee pots now the small one and a larger one.
I like them both.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started with a small cast iron pot that i found and a charcoal grill using charcoal and wood for heat source not ideal but worked and picked up a small cooking ladle at a thrift shop, you can get started cheap but depends on how much casting your planning on doing. I have slowly added 14 different molds and a lee 20# bottom pour pot and other things over the years, i also cast for my BP guns as well using the stick on ww's i find.

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I score 700lbs of pre-1964 wheel weights once. No zink or steel weights at all. Came from the ballast in an old crane. Your supply does go faster than you think. Started competing in BPCR where everything is 20:1 or more with black powder so salvaged sheet lead after that. With glaucoma its getting harder to cast and inspect as they drop from the mold, but then again iron sights are near out of the question too, so not sure how much it matters. Great hobbie!

Latest posts

Top Bottom