Does this mean I have to start casting my own bullets now?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have sinker molds and treble hook sinker molds and jig head molds.
Buddy had slip sinker mold I made a lot of sinkers with that mold.

On bank sinkers I keep a steel coffee can full of 1/2 oz. 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 oz sinkers.
You will be scrounging all the lead you possibly can if you end up liking casting.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never molded bullets, but have done a ton of fishing sinkers and I do build my own molds from Aluminum bar stock. They look like mini flying saucers but work great in rivers with current as they don't roll. They are slip sinkers. If I remember, I'll take a pic tomorrow. Just acquired a sheet of lead from an old shower, and I pick up every wheel weight I see on the street, so have a stash.
A thousand rounds of lead powder coated bullets are so cheap, that I'll probably never get into bullets with several thousand in the stash already.

96A1

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
How much extra time do ya got?

if you’re twiddling your thumbs and thinking of reasons to not masturbate, go for it.

It stinks and takes up tons of time though. But you’ll never choot sheaper.

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Getting into casting doesn’t need to be expensive. Lee molds work well and are inexpensive. Using a Lee six cavity with a lead scoop you can turn out bullets plenty fast. A bottom pour pot makes the process easier but isn’t required at all. The major issue with casting is finding lead, which is getting harder to find and more expensive by the day. Even buying casting alloy you will save money on bullets.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
By casting my own bullets and using primers and powder i have stock piled for the last 15 or so years i can load nearly all my pistol rounds for right at .05 cpr and most rifle at .15 cpr.

Latest posts

Top Bottom