Dog training as a career

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deli_llama

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have recently come to the eye opening realization that I would be very happy working with animals, namely dogs. I know there is no feeling more satisfying than a relationship with a dog that loves, obeys, and serves you. My question is, who is making a living training or working with dogs/animals, and how could this old dog get started?

I desire a rewarding career and can think of few more invaluable than working with animals.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not make my living working with dogs, but I much prefer the company of dogs over people, and have been fortunate enough to have worked with some fine animal trainers over the years. I'm not sure where to tell you to start if you want formal training or certification but this gal is the real deal ... http://clicketysplitdogtraining.com/clickety/trainer.html So is this one ... http://thedoggiespot.biz/id5.html

I'd start by buying every single book on their "recommended reading list" and go from there ... Good luck!

BTW, I'd also check into fostering dogs from a shelter. If you are not living with multiple dogs in your home you will find it difficult to perfect your technique. I've learned so much about how to communicate effectively with dogs by having dogs much, much smarter than me in my home. We are dogless right now, due to an unfortunate series of events, but I'm getting the itch again ... sigh ...

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine to... they are stupid so should give you a lot to work with :yelclap:
I have one for you too. A 35lb Boston. He's a 'free spirit', errr, basically just does whatever he wants because I suck at being an owner, which means I spoiled him as a puppy and ruined him. The wife and kids trained their Beagles somehow but this other one is a lazy, fat little basturd with an emphasis on turd. Kind of like his owner...

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine is not stupid, very far from it actually. She's the grandbaby of one of BB's past dogs, thus my statement of her taking her anytime.

fustigate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My sister does. It can be quite frustrating for her, mainly with stupid owners: "The dog bit [nipped, more likely] my son!" What was he doing? "Pulling the dog's tail while it was eating." Well, I would, too...

I'm not sure I can really say she makes a living doing it; pay isn't great. She has to do a lot of leg work putting her name out there and doing house calls if that's what the owner wants.

She has a bach. degree in zoology, but is mainly self- and mentor-taught for animal training. She reads a LOT of books and watches videos online. There are seminars from time to time in the area. Also, she's networked and worked with other traininers in the area.

BadgeBunny, I'm guessing Clickity-Split does clicker training, versus positive reinforcement?

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you. We have three dogs now. I can't foster anymore, but I can work with mine.

BUT ... your three are not going to give you any experience in dealing with behavioral problems outside your comfort zone. For example, how many times has one of your dogs tried to bite you? I've been bitten by cats (3 times) more than dogs (0 times, but I've come way too close for comfort a time or two). You gotta experience a dog behavior (both the good and the bad) and a YouTube video ain't gonna cut it ...

I have one for you too. A 35lb Boston. He's a 'free spirit', errr, basically just does whatever he wants because I suck at being an owner, which means I spoiled him as a puppy and ruined him. The wife and kids trained their Beagles somehow but this other one is a lazy, fat little basturd with an emphasis on turd. Kind of like his owner...

You, sir ... are 1 in a bazillon. I wish more people were like you. You understand why your dog is the way he is. Your dog is safer and better off for it. :)

Mine is not stupid, very far from it actually. She's the grandbaby of one of BB's past dogs, thus my statement of her taking her anytime.

True that! I can be rough having a dog that is smarter than you are. (I know, because I've been in the same boat you're in now! :D)

My sister does. It can be quite frustrating for her, mainly with stupid owners: "The dog bit [nipped, more likely] my son!" What was he doing? "Pulling the dog's tail while it was eating." Well, I would, too...

I'm not sure I can really say she makes a living doing it; pay isn't great. She has to do a lot of leg work putting her name out there and doing house calls if that's what the owner wants.

She has a bach. degree in zoology, but is mainly self- and mentor-taught for animal training. She reads a LOT of books and watches videos online. There are seminars from time to time in the area. Also, she's networked and worked with other traininers in the area.

BadgeBunny, I'm guessing Clickity-Split does clicker training, versus positive reinforcement?

:scratch: I'm not sure what you are asking. Susanne uses only positive reinforcement methods with all her dogs. Clicker training is a quicker more efficient way to mark and/or shape complex (and not so complex) behaviors you want to encourage and promote.

Latest posts

Top Bottom