Don't Lose Friendships

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It does not pay to alienate friends over election-year politics. An article by Jeffery Tucker raises some interesting points about the dangers of contentiousness online or anywhere. Here is a sample:

...I like to think of friendship much the way we think of economic exchange. In economics, goods and services do not exchange in the presence of perfect sameness. They exchange because each party to the exchange believes himself or herself will be better off than he or she was before the exchange. It is only in the presence of unequal expectations that exchange becomes mutually rewarding.

It is the same with friendship. We need to hear different points of view. We need the insights of others. Even if we don’t accept them in total, we can still hope to understand people and the world better by considering what others have to say – with sincerity, warmth, and honesty. In other words, friendships like this help us have an open mind and keep us all humble and teachable.

Candidates Will Betray You

Neither is it a good idea to give up a friendship based on loyalty to a particular candidate. The top two contenders for the presidency have held many different and conflicting views on a huge range of political issues, from taxation to immigration to war. These people are wired to be adaptable based on the polls. To follow one or the other all the way to the point that it affects your associations is to risk compromising your own intellectual integrity.

Neither is worth that.

One of the great tragedies of politics is that it can take people who in real life would be peaceful and loyal and loving friends and turn them into bitter enemies. I’m always struck by this when I see a political rally, with face offs between backers and protesters. What exactly is gained by this? If you put these same people in a shopping mall or movie theater or restaurant, they would have every reason to get along and no reason to be screaming obscenities at each other.

We should hold on to that realization. Each of us is a human being with feelings, hopes, dreams, and a vision of a life well-lived – every single person, regardless of race, religion, gender identity, or ideology. Politics should change nothing about that.

If we long for a better world of mutual understanding and peace, one way to help achieve it is to live as if it already exists. Above all, that means never letting politics get in the way of rewarding human relationships...

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems to me alot of people from "the other side" are less tolerant than I. I've posted/discussed very little this election cycle and lost several FB "friends"...which were all from the other end of the ideological spectrum. 

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never de-friend someone on Facebook because of their politics, but if the post is irritating enough I will opt for "see fewer posts like this" or perhaps block posts from the source of the post they chose.

People's opinions usually come from their life experiences. I am always curious about why people have their beliefs. If you can learn someone's life story and background it can be enlightening.

Resist the temptation to label people as "stupid" and just take their opinions with a grain of salt.

JeffT

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
...temptation to label people as "stupid" and just take their opinions with a grain of salt.

You never hear that "Grain of Salt" anymore, maybe that's why some of us are much easier to get along with than others are, because we were taught to take a lot of things in life "with a grain of salt".

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, Shoot Well, Leave the Rest to God.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Americans are more united than you would be lead to believe. the difference between the right and the left in this country is actually a very slim difference, in reality. Communist and fascist parties do not even exist in this country. We argue about things like Homosexual 'marriage', gun rights, abortion, healthcare etc but in reality we are all very similar ideologically.

I think this article points it out well;
http://www.theatlantic.com/national...are-americans-so-ideologically-united/243951/

"Americans have a national ideology, and it's called liberalism. This doesn't mean we are left-wing, it means we believe in a set of principles rooted in the ideas of John Locke: democracy, limited government, republicanism, self-determination, the rule of law, equal opportunity, and free expression. To be American is not to claim a particular ethnicity, but to profess the liberal creed. The Declaration of Independence set out a promise of human rights and equality that many Americans assume is universally desired, and serves to unleash the potential of the human spirit."

the media is driving us apart, talking heads and extremists. Those ideologues who are so convicted in their beliefs as to not be willing to concede any point to the opposition, or be willing to reach some sort of compromise are dangerous to this country, in my opinion. There will always be things we disagree on, i just hope we never forget we're Americans. After 9/11 or pearl harbor, no one was a republican or a democrat.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Americans are more united than you would be lead to believe. the difference between the right and the left in this country is actually a very slim difference, in reality. Communist and fascist parties do not even exist in this country. We argue about things like Homosexual 'marriage', gun rights, abortion, healthcare etc but in reality we are all very similar ideologically.

I think this article points it out well;
http://www.theatlantic.com/national...are-americans-so-ideologically-united/243951/

"Americans have a national ideology, and it's called liberalism. This doesn't mean we are left-wing, it means we believe in a set of principles rooted in the ideas of John Locke: democracy, limited government, republicanism, self-determination, the rule of law, equal opportunity, and free expression. To be American is not to claim a particular ethnicity, but to profess the liberal creed. The Declaration of Independence set out a promise of human rights and equality that many Americans assume is universally desired, and serves to unleash the potential of the human spirit."

the media is driving us apart, talking heads and extremists. Those ideologues who are so convicted in their beliefs as to not be willing to concede any point to the opposition, or be willing to reach some sort of compromise are dangerous to this country, in my opinion. There will always be things we disagree on, i just hope we never forget we're Americans. After 9/11 or pearl harbor, no one was a republican or a democrat.

Read and consider the comments to the article as well. Both are provocative. Thank you for your post.

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was gonna say opinions are like assholes..blah...blah....blah, but last i checked people arnt flaunting their assholes on Facebook. I wonder if people realize that nobody cares about their opinion.

But thats just like.....my opinion.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was gonna say opinions are like assholes..blah...blah....blah, but last i checked people arnt flaunting their assholes on Facebook. I wonder if people realize that nobody cares about their opinion.

Debate is an important part of democracy. In a democracy, people's opinions do matter. Not on an individual scale, mind you, but in aggregate. Each individual has an ability to influence his peers with his opinions, even if it is in an aggregate or subtle way.

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Debate is an important part of democracy. In a democracy, people's opinions do matter. Not on an individual scale, mind you, but in aggregate. Each individual has an ability to influence his peers with his opinions, even if it is in an aggregate or subtle way.

Good point. I guess im just being grumpy and annoyed by all the political stuff iv seen people posting since the election cycle kicked back up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom