Don't Lose Friendships

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I grew up with the same group of guys since kindergarten. These guys are like my brothers, family. Their beliefs ARE 180 from mine. We have learned that we cannot discuss politics with one another. It doesn't mean that we don't love each other or are not there for each other. Some things are way bigger than politics.

I grew up in an era that still touted it was rude and unbecoming to discuss politics and religion in mixed company. FB is about as mixed as it gets. I also get really disappointed when any celebrity starts in with it. Why would any public figure (besides politicians) basically alienate half the population?

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
... I also get really disappointed when any celebrity starts in with it. Why would any public figure (besides politicians) basically alienate half the population?
Often because they are losing their popularity and want to stay in the limelight. Others may be new to the celebrity world and seek to gain the approval of their peers.

Everyday people who lack meaning in their lives often seek a ready-made cause and the adrenaline rush of hating under cover of supposed righteousness.

Unfortunately most people treat politics like celebrity worship or football rivalry when they really should be thinking through issues .... but thinking openly and being willing to question your own assumptions is hard work.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would immediately unfriend someone who is voting for Hillary..............can't be around somebody **** all stupid as that

FredNOk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i've lost friends on FB for my opinions about everything from Apple to Zoology. It seems that most of those friends don't like my political views about criminals in government, so i get unfriended. i don't lose sleep over it because a true friend wouldn't turn their back on me, whether they agree with my views or not. I've even refrained from saying, "I told you so," when these same folks came slithering back after they figured out I was right about this last train wreck in our government.
My disposition is to allow a person to make a mistake, but only 1. There won't be another chance. That's what gets me through life. If someone can choose to shun me because of my beliefs or political views, then shame on them. If I allow it to happen again then shame on me. I have no time for fair weather friends. I have more important things to worry about. Remember, enough of those "grains of salt" could lead to high blood pressure and heart disease. It's the same with friendships. Coincidentally, one of my best friends hasn't friended me on FB because I could drive him bonkers with my posts. I respect that and his honesty for telling me so. That's a real friend to me!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is why I deleted my facebook account. I have some really liberal relatives. I'd just as soon keep them as relatives and not get into political fights. When we are together, politics are verboten to discuss.

Latest posts

Top Bottom