Dove Reports?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going to try to make it to the South fields this evening if anyone is interested. Seems like they've been flying a lot better there for the afternoon hunts. I'll be in a silver Nissan Titan. Come say hi!

Shot those fields yesterday evening with two friends and my 5 year old. there were about 12 guys on one and nobody on the other. There were a few birds flying but nothing like opening morning for sure. They been hit pretty hard since thursday. Gonna wait a week or so before we go back. Good luck.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dove season has sucked. I have taken my family out hunting Friday through Monday and haven't seen a bird.

Public land in Wagoner sucks, this morning I am on Cimmaron river unit by Manford and it sucks.

Unless you have private land to hunt on you can't hunt. I have talked to several land owners in a few areas and they won't let a man and his wife and teenager hunt.

I guess I am through doing something I love doing.

Keep after them SOCOM. Good ol boys are still out there that will let you hunt. I tracked down the owner of 80 acres of milo on the Red River yesterday and got permission to hunt birds. Before we were done driving around he showed me 2000 acres of corn and beans and I can hunt whatever I want as long as I shoot every pig I see. He didn't know me from Adam, but we hit it off and now I have a new huntin spot.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those folks have been there the whole weekend. Do you use the same shot on dove as on squirrles?

Sure do...at fairly close range. If they are really close I usually lead them a little to try and keep the whole body from getting peppered by shot.

I sure don't mind other non-hunting folks using the WMA, but one cat was riding his horse along the edges of the food plots....really? Guess you just have to roll with it when you are on public land though.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
my son and three buddies went out last eve. i would have thought that the numbers were winding down but darnit they came home with 60 birds. i tried to take a pic but the batteries in the camera took a dirt bath. some friends are going to go out this afternoon,we'll see if this front has moved the birds out.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yes that was us. I think you was the guy that tried to talk to me when I got down to the road and waited for my 3 friends to come from the park? Was that you? My other friend and I sat together and that strange white bird, flying like as dove and tried to landing right next to our dove mojos and we were like huh is that a dove, then I said it looks like an albino dove or possible an Eurasian Collared Dove? As soon as that it near landed onto the ground, I decided to shot it and we were confused for a bit it looks like a hybrid of Eurasian Collared and Pigeon? Weird? It tastes no different just same as dove.

ai1047.photobucket.com_albums_b473_okbowhntr_IMG_20110902_202722.jpg

Yea, that was me. I took 4 that afternoon, then moved to a different location because I didn't have any shade to sit in that wasn't going to have me shooting right toward the road.

So you leave the meat on the bones when you cook it, and just eat it kind of like a rib? Last year was my first time dove hunting and when my wife cooked it, we were trying to get the meat off the bone with a fork and it wasn't working real well lol.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Took the wife and kids camping out in western NE this weekend. Grouse season is open and thought I would take the dogs for a spin thru the sandhills. I saw EVERYTHING but a grouse while out. 11 antelope, big 4x4 mulie, whitetails, turkeys and........................DOVE! A bunch of them. Took my wife and kids back that evening and we had some fun. Dogs got plenty of retrieves in too.

awww.hunt101.com_data_500_medium_dove4.jpg

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Hunted three days just north of Overholser and the grand total was 217 birds. Roughly half were eurasian dove. My boy was tired of being the retreiver after two hours and went back to the house. I guess I'll let him shoot some next year.

Latest posts

Top Bottom