Dove Reports?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

870WingBlaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hunted vernon, tx this weekend with a friend. We got 8 total between a evening hunt on Sunday and morning hunt on Monday. He had limited twice, before the cold front hit. He said that they were not a thick as before the front. Still had a great time. As mentioned already, the birds were all very young. Also, it's great breaking the gold hunter out of retirement from last season. Ready to break the wingmaster out soon for some pheasant.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I set up in the shade by a farm pond near Watonga on Sept. 1. Got there at 9:00 and had 15 dove by noon. There was lots of sun and plenty of wind. Should have limited in an hour, but my shooting isn't what it once was. Four of the birds were Eurasian Ringnecks, but I just counted them as dove since I didn't want to mess with leaving the head and a wing on. Going to try it again tomorrow (Thu. 9/8). Be interesting to see what's left since the weather change.

I was shooting an 1100 12 with a modified choke, which for some reason has worked well for me the last few years. Only downside of this place is it's private, invite only, and I can't bring anybody. Still, hunting alone beats not hunting. Birds are frozen, destined for mushroom soup in the slow cooker. CB

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the last two days i've cooked fillet'd dove breast In mushroom soup, over noodles, and fillets wrapped in bacon with a slice of jalepeno. Both have been marinated in Italian dressing for 24 hrs.

Both are awesome! I prefer
The grilled:D

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went dove hunting today. You know what I saw?

img.photobucket.com_albums_v324_264Magnum_7038778159480_ORIG.jpg

And 29 deer, 13 bucks. A couple of which weren't exactly small.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 9/8 Watonga hunt produced a dozen birds, two of them ringnecks. They were still hanging around near the pond. I may try once more next week before I have to go back to work. CB

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Getting to be slim pickins around Lexington. I went last night and saw maybe 8 birds over about 4 hours. Only about 3 were within range and I bagged two of them. I did see a lone fawn, though, standing on the side of the road.

goosedestroyer

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea, that was me. I took 4 that afternoon, then moved to a different location because I didn't have any shade to sit in that wasn't going to have me shooting right toward the road.

So you leave the meat on the bones when you cook it, and just eat it kind of like a rib? Last year was my first time dove hunting and when my wife cooked it, we were trying to get the meat off the bone with a fork and it wasn't working real well lol.

Yeah we leave the meat on the bones when we cook it and eat like a rib.

I took my wife dove hunting on Saturday evening at our lease around a pond, we both killed 11 doves in two hours and half. Also we saw a BIG buck and my wife got so excited that there's at least one that is a really nice buck on our lease and hopefully she will kill him this fall! She hasn't killed her first deer yet.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went Saturday morning here around Pryor to a field where a guy had seen about 100 flying the previous evening. We only saw about 4 birds, none within range. It was bad.

Latest posts

Top Bottom