DPMS release their new GII 308

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not a fan of how their railed versions (minus the SASS) don't cover the gas block. Easy fix with a longer rail, just wondering why they did that.

93 FOX

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not a fan of how their railed versions (minus the SASS) don't cover the gas block. Easy fix with a longer rail, just wondering why they did that.

I'm not a fan of it either but I think anything that is optic ready usually has an ugly gas block hanging out the end and being a 308, it's more than likely getting glass throw on top of it.

I'd be pretty excited if it didn't say DPMS on the side of them. This would defiantly take care of my urge to build a 6.8.

okla1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
GII Hunter please! I've looking to get a 308 AR for a few months & settled on building. The hunter model is pretty much 90% of what I decided I wanted already so that's it. Well I guess it"s time to list my PSL package.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Because my current bolt carrier doesn't have the forward assist serrations cut into it...

Why would you want forward assist serrations? So you can jam a bad round further into your chamber to get stuck even worse so that you have to end up mortaring it out? Don't get me wrong, I understand it's purpose and use but I would strongly argue that in the history of forward assists, they have caused way more problems that they have fixed.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why would you want forward assist serrations? So you can jam a bad round further into your chamber to get stuck even worse so that you have to end up mortaring it out? Don't get me wrong, I understand it's purpose and use but I would strongly argue that in the history of forward assists, they have caused way more problems that they have fixed.

I think the best reason is because its my rifle and I want one. However, since I often walk miles, climb rocks and trees etc to hunt various critters, I don't chamber a round beforehand. Instead when I get to a position I ride the charging handle forward and use the forward assist to seat the round fully. It's much quieter than pulling the charging handle back and letting her rip.

During competition, I push the FA just as I double check my mags are seated properly. It's a ritual to make sure my guns go 'boom' when I want them to.

SeanO

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

+1

Only time I see it useful is after a chamber check.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I often perform quiet chambering of rounds and also press check frequently in competition. I've never needed or wanted a FA to do those functions. My finger through the port can push as hard as I want to make sure I'm fully into battery. If that doesn't do it, I want a new round. FA has nothing to do with your mags being seated, I'm sure that you meant bolt.

"I think the best reason is because its my rifle and I want one". Fair enough. There's a gun for everyone.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I often perform quiet chambering of rounds and also press check frequently in competition. I've never needed or wanted a FA to do those functions. My finger through the port can push as hard as I want to make sure I'm fully into battery. If that doesn't do it, I want a new round. FA has nothing to do with your mags being seated, I'm sure that you meant bolt.

"I think the best reason is because its my rifle and I want one". Fair enough. There's a gun for everyone.

I don't know.... my finger doesn't fit well through the port. I have fat fingers, perhaps. And if I'm wearing gloves, forget it completely.

As for the mags, I think he was saying he hits the FA at the same time he's checking his mags... just a habitual thing to make sure everything is seated properly, like a pilot's checklist. Not that that FA has anything to do with the mags, he was only mentioning he did those at the same time as part of his "checklist".

If he wants one, I say who cares.

Latest posts

Top Bottom