Drill Doctor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
We played around with one at work. I think it’s all in the setup cause I think we made most of them worse! That being said, I like the concept. Good bits are expensive.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had one and it took a long time to get the bits sharp compared to using a bench grinder.
But the bench grinder as with anything you need the angle that works best .

I was drilling some holes last week and the bit I was using was rolled over and dull.
I had my angle grinder right there with a diamond cutting wheel in it.

I sharpened that bit super quick and perfect angle with it.
That was the fastest I ever sharpened a bit.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have one and am pretty pleased with it. I have found It will put a sharp edge on for the project at hand. Bits don't seem to keep the sharp edge as when new but what the heck.....at least I get a little more life out of a bit. It only takes a couple of minutes to sharpen.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve got a bunch of old drill bits that need resharpening, and I’m wondering if Drill Doctors really work or are a gimmick.
I bought one, tried it, packed it back up, and returned it, close to a decade ago. Later, took a manual machining course at Franciss Tuttle, and got instruction and practice in hand-grinding drill bits. Works well for larger bits. If you're careful! Kind of hard to do on tiny bits, though. Look for a "four facet sharpening jig." That should fix you up.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IF the angle of DDr and bit are the same.

Same as sharpening anything else.

Mostly a gimmick, because angle is crucial.
You can supposedly set the angle on the higher end Drill Doctor. Most common angle is 118°, IIRC, some (usually more expensive bits) at 135°. In all the drill bits I've bought or scavenged over the years, I don't believe I've ever gotten one of the 135° bits. OTH, if you work with a lot of different metals, you may well want to grind to different angles. Working in brass, or sheetmetals other angles can save time and effort on finish work.

I'm not a model maker, but they have a lot of tips and tricks for that sort of work. Hope to get there myself, one day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom