Drop Cloth tent

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have lived for weeks in tents of all kinds.
They needed to be small and portable My favorite was a small Pup tent looking type tent that had 1 pole in front and 1 in back, a small wire stake for each corner. Was called 2 man tent.
All wadded up into a ball it is the size of a softball.
It was parachute type material and i used thompsons on it in the mid 1980's it helped but seams would leak.

It had a floor but same material...

When i would set it up i would do it under a cedar or pine tree, make a bed of needles and lay down a tarp and set tent up on the tarp.

If bad weather was to be in the forecast i would take another tarp and install over it.

I no longer took my tent poles.. I would make poles from sticks and use string to tie up the tarps and strings and rocks for securing the corners...
I rode out some really bad storms in that tent...I think i still have it packed away, thing cost me something like $4.95 or $9.95 34 years ago.
Last used it about 12 years ago deer hunting trip ..Buddy had an SST (sixty second tent) very awesome. another buddy
had some abbreviated name tent, then they would call my little tent the S.H.I.T. tent.

Well they complained of hard rocks and holes the next morning and i was not complaining on my pine needle bed i made under my tent and tarp....They thought i was a bit weird setting my tent up...Next evening they had pine needles under their tents.

That probably is not what you are looking for.

I have also slept in a small hammock with a string over the top between the 2 trees and i draped a very large contractor lawn and leaf bag that i split down the seam over the string ...kept me dry in the rain.

One note on that.. install hammock high enough that when the trees sag during the rain that your butt stays up off the ground or you will have a wet butt in the morning.

Those contractor bags are awesome in a down pour.
You can open it up and poof it full of air and pull it over the top of you and ride out the storm under a tree ...

Another use for those bags is flotation.
You can poof it full of air and pull the open ends down into the water, basically making a giant floating bubble.

Then you can swim under and up into that bubble and secure your feet and legs and float down river with a bunch of your body up in the bubble.. good for 10+ minutes before the air needs freshened.

Cheap tarps = contractor bags
bigger = duct taped together bags

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My friends and I assembled a tent using one of these temporary "garages" ( http://m.harborfreight.com/10-ft-x-20-ft-all-purpose-canopy-60728.html) and then enclosed it with heavy duty contractors plastic and gorilla tape. We weathered a pretty heavy duty rain storm and kept completely dry. We had 2 propane heaters in it and it was a perfect redneck tent. And since the plastic was clear, we had plenty of light most of the day.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I quit using the blue tarps for that and got green ones instead. The blue tarps jacked with my vision too much when coming out into the light. I used a special waterproof duct tape that will hold just about anything under any conditions. We don't call them bakers tents but wall tents.

Bakers tent and wall tent....2 different designs. I like the duct tape idea tho.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a stitch on my new machine that is basically a double row with reinforcing backstitch every other stroke. I have no idea what it is called, if anything, but with monofilament thread I imagine it would be pretty strong.

I think two guns is onto something with the waterproof tape.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm pretty curious to see how it turns out, I've often thought that it would make a decent tent/shelter but dismissed it because I figure if it worked that well it would already be popular. Are you wanting something you can carry with you for camping/hunting type stuff?

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm pretty curious to see how it turns out, I've often thought that it would make a decent tent/shelter but dismissed it because I figure if it worked that well it would already be popular. Are you wanting something you can carry with you for camping/hunting type stuff?

Yea , light weight, waterproof/resistant.

I bet BB's right , some of those double stitch, maybe a hem stitch, heck them new machines have all kind of stitches.
Wouldnt want to ..oversew it , might be a weak point.

Latest posts

Top Bottom