Drug testing for Welfare payments

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mgarza_a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In all honesty, I would prefer that to drug testing or some poor mirage of a retraining/education program. I will back pedal some :) to say that a retraining program could work, but I don't believe the government could pull it off successfully. I surmise it would end up with lazy people going to school and on welfare, with no real desire to contribute once retrained.

I agree that a percentage would end up not following through, however making training or school a requirement rather than drug testing could be an affective tool. We send people to expensive training every year with a requirement that they stay with our company for no less than 12 months after certification. If a employee chooses to leave within that time frame he or she will owe the full amount of the training. If the government were not so incompetent a program could easily be implemented that says if they do not agree to training or school and work in their chosen field for a predetermined amount of time, they would not be eligible for any type of assistance for a minimum of 2 years. Just food for thought.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
What about the children? It's always about the children. I've got news for you, the children of a drug abusing welfare recipient are not benefiting from the welfare. If we would offer sterilization in return for extended benefits, that would probably do more to help the children.

Well, if you are all for sterilizing people, why not just execute them and save Der Staat some real money?

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ehhhh ... I say drug test them AND sterilize them. Then make training mandatory and after that GO GET A JOB!!

No?? Too much trouble?? Too hard?? Hit the street then. Maybe you Auntie Alice will take you in.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My initial comment was going to be that it will never end up passing just from the persepctive of people not wanting the government in their lives and the amount of people on the dole, but then I read Dennis's comment that it's already in effect in Florida. I'm just very surprised that it passed there... and will be if it does here too.

I think that most people who are for this proposal aren't really people who want more government control, they're just tired of sending their tax dollars up and then seeing and hearing about all of the waste, fraud and abuse.

Is requiring drug testing Constitutional or not? :anyone: I think it's a strange discussion to be having when there is a strong argument that welfare itself is un-Constitutional. The framers didn't enumerate any of these powers in the first place.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ehhhh ... I say drug test them AND sterilize them. Then make training mandatory and after that GO GET A JOB!!

No?? Too much trouble?? Too hard?? Hit the street then. Maybe you Auntie Alice will take you in.

So why let the government have that much control over people? Just have them hit the street to start with.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My initial comment was going to be that it will never end up passing just from the persepctive of people not wanting the government in their lives and the amount of people on the dole, but then I read Dennis's comment that it's already in effect in Florida.

For the record, they have about a 98% pass rate in Florida so far. They are paying more to administer the tests and other administrative costs than they are saving in benefits payments.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I mean....of course it looks like a good idea on paper to many but in practice I can't forsee it doing any more than simply adding more .gov red tape.....and that's the bottom line.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So why let the government have that much control over people? Just have them hit the street to start with.

In my scenario the gov't only has control over the people who give it to them. Make something costly enough a fewer people will be willing to "trade".

Although I cannot disagree with just completely doing away with gov't assistance and letting the churches and NFP charities (whose directors draw those $80K+ salaries) do the work.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the record, they have about a 98% pass rate in Florida so far. They are paying more to administer the tests and other administrative costs than they are saving in benefits payments.
Im hearing that they had a 10% failure rate thus far. 10% of 1,782,281(yes I looked this up and this is 2008 numbers, no doubt its higher today) is 178,228 that were turned down. Those checks that are not being sent out could easily add up to $356,000,000 (guestimated 2,000 dollars a month per leach for welfare and food stamps) You can do a lot with savings like that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom