Dry Canning ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You're buying sugar in the wrong place.

Forget SAMs.

Go to The Chefs Store, US Foods, at I-240 & Walker.

You can thank me later.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're buying sugar in the wrong place.

Forget SAMs.

Go to The Chefs Store, US Foods, at I-240 & Walker.

You can thank me later.

You know, I've been by there a couple of times but they have damned odd hours. Thanks for the reminder -- I'm gonna drag GC by there while he is burning leave off the next couple of weeks ... I'm sure he will appreciate it, too ... :lookaroun :P :rotflmao: He HATES going to a new store with me -- I have to look at EVERYTHING ... :anyone:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buy 50 lb bags granulated and 25 lb powdered at Sam's. Cheaper by the pound. Wife and day do a lot of baking.
20 1#, try 4 50# and 4 25# plus 50# bags of flour and popcorn (chickens love it). Them at sam's is worse than me at feed store.

We do this as well, but we found a better outlet to buy our sugar. We know a guy that drives a truck for a restaurant supply, we get a 50# sack for a lot cheaper. Put it in a 5 gallon bucket for storage.

I live in a one horse town. Not a lot of competition out there with a walmart and Pyramid owning every grocery store in town.

I do the math when buying sugar. The off brand in 1 lb bags is cheaper in Ponca.

It wouldn't pay to drive to OKC to save a couple of bucks.

clock152

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I get the big bags from Sam's of flour and sugar. separate them up into 1 lb bags ( brown lunch bags work great for this... just fill em and roll the tops down ) and then vac seal them up into nice 1 lb bricks that stack nice in a tote.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, well, it's settled ... I'm gonna give some pecans a whirl ...

I've read mixed results on dry canning crackers. Some folks say it works great. Others say the crackers still go rancid in 6 months or so ... Because of that I'm more inclined just to bake my own crackers and leave the dry canning for things I can't make myself ... like pecans. I can grind my own flour and cornmeal so I don't see much use for dry canning those either ... :scratch: But that's just me ...

I'll let you know how it goes ... Probably blow the kitchen up ... :lookaroun

Latest posts

Top Bottom