Duck Dog

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That was my Christmas present, girlfriend found a photographer to come out and take pics of the dog, then had the first one framed and hung it in my office. Something I will cherish for life.

Reaction score
In my opinion the background of the puppy is 40% and 60% is how much time and effort you put in to the dog. You can have the greatest bloodline in the world but if you don't take the time the dog will not be good in the field. I got my lab from a guy in NewKirk 2 years ago as my first dog and she has been amazing. It really changes the way you hunt. I also have a 8 month old and my lab is more gentle with the baby than my wife's "toy" dog. Good luck and hope this helps.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Working with the dog daily will be something I'll make time for. We have a park just down the street that will allow for training in open spaces as well as a few distractions around to assist with focusing the dog. Now, to find a proper pup.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's another "yes" vote for a lab. My dad had several labs over the years (as well as 7 kids). The dogs were GREAT family pets as well as wonderful hunter/retrievers. Margo, his favorite female, even pulled my 3 year old toddler out of the pond on my dad's acreage when he fell in. They would play really rough and rowdy with the older kids and be so gentle with the younger ones that it was hard to believe you were watching the same dog.

My dad was lucky enough to be able to take his dogs everywhere with him, even work, so they got a lot of attention from him and it showed. They knew my dad so well that oftentimes they would simply do something for him before he even gave them the command.

They are fiercely loyal. Once a lab bonds with your child, there will be no spankings lol ... My youngest brother was a handful when he got to be about 11 or so. You knew Bill was in trouble when Daddy said "Where's Magic?" because the only time Magic ever challenged him was when he would yell at Bill ... Ha!

badrinker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife had mentioned a golden retriever before, but I wasn't sure how they'd handle having a thicker/longer coat and cold water retrieving. Thanks to Garand, I now know it's not a problem. lol Thanks for the input guys.

I've seen Garand's Golden on numerous occasions, he's a "field" Golden, with a much denser coat than the "show" Goldens most people have as pets.

badrinker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love my labs but if I ever get another dog I think I will go for the Chesapeake bay retriever.

Chessies can be great dogs, but generally aren't recommended for a first duck dog. They can be a bit hard-headed, and take a trainer who knows exactly what he's doing for best results.

Garand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen Garand's Golden on numerous occasions, he's a "field" Golden, with a much denser coat than the "show" Goldens most people have as pets.

Speaking of that, I think its about time for Finn to come in for his 7yr tune up :-)
gkasper.smugmug.com_photos_i_crLHZ9q_0_XL_i_crLHZ9q_XL.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom