Duck Dog

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lab,s are my preference

i819.photobucket.com_albums_zz120_gundogx3_IMGP2003.jpg

He wants to try deer hunting next he would if his paw was alittle smaller to het in the triger guard

Mikemc

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree it's 40% breeding 60% training... Just keep in mind a good hunting dog needs to have drive! (and they get their drive from breeding) I'm not saying you need a $1500 pup bred from multiple field trial champs, but it is a good idea to buy from a breeder who hunts both parents... I guess what I'm saying is don't go pick a lab up at the pound and expect too much.

OKCIS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to think it was all about training. My current Lab came from Dickendall and i havent spent a full hour total with that dog and she works like a champ. She came home earlier than we wanted because she was a christmas present 4 years ago but we took her out to get used to gun shots at 7 weeks old. Never phased her by 10 weeks anytime a bird hit the ground she was taking off. Took 15 minutes to teach her to wait until i told her to go and the rest is history. With me having labs and the wife having English bulldogs ive started to become a much larger believer in genetics in animals. Sure there is great dogs everywhere but if you dont want to take the risk or dont have the time start looking at the family line and the breeders. I love labs i will always have one as long as i live but ive seen some in the last few years that the hyper activity makes a boxer look like an English Bulldog and if you have ever been around a bulldog you know they dont do anything except fart and sleep.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reviving this thread. We had to put my wife's dog to sleep last week and are ready for the puppy commitment. Please let me know if you know of any lab pups (up to a few months old preferably) that are ready, almost ready, or on their way.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
AGREE with the breeding. Make sure the parents hunt. Show dogs are just that SHOW. I have had the high pedigree hunting dogs and from individuals. Price and papers don't mean SQUAT. A pup from hunting parents will hunt with little to no training. Training is to teach control and basic commands, not to teach to hunt / retrieve. They are born with or without it.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And take lots of pics when you get that pup! I have only one set of pics from when my Georgia was a pup, but tons throughout the last 9 years. Now that she is old and has her own photo album, I kick myself in the pants for not taking more pictures of her as a pup. Never could have imagined how big a part of my life she would become.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ha ha for sure.

We visited second chance and the pound today. Found a nice male black lab who is probably a year old or so, but I tossed a stick and he turned around and walked off. I'll take a ball up there next week and see if he's responsive. Looking into heartland lab rescue as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom