Duck guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another NO for the 835! !
My cousin shoots a SBE and loves it. I've been shooting a Stoeger M2000 for 5-6 years with no problems. Its the cheaper lil brother to the Benelli's.
I prefer a semi auto but the Nova is a decent pump gun.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I feel left out. As all my shotguns are older than I am.
I used to hunt ducks and quit for the most part when they required steel shot.
My 2 3/4 lead #4 killed all that came in from old browning A5 and my old(1947) pump action stevens 12 gauge.

A friend and I made a muzzle loader smooth bore shotgun from a 1/36 twist .50 cal muzzleloader that would never shoot a good group.

The barrel is shortened, a lot.. when we tested this for pattern vs a 12 gauge with 12" longer barrel the muzzleloader opened up quicker at 20 paces.

It had a 4 foot wide pattern but at 50 yards the pattern stayed 4 foot wide. and the 12 gauge was 3x this width

This got me scratching my head. We were shooting lead shot at melons when we decided to do the testing.

All I could figure out is the longer the lead has to travel down a barrel the more deformed the lead balls become. Then you have some flattened lead and thew go zippin to the sides and open the group. Just a theory I have in my head.

I shot some steel through my A5 (built before 1928) and my other old guns and was surprised that groups were better with the shorter barrel
and seems the steel does like a more open choke.
I also read that you do not shoot steel from a full choke barrel, as it could split the barrel.. Is this true?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Steel doesn't compress when constricted.......and somethings got to give if the choke is too tight. I've heard stories bulged barrel ends, both fixed and screw in but never seen it first hand. Tons of web articles discussing the topic.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Last time I went duck hunting I bought a 835. Sold it as soon as I could, cheap.

My old gun is a 20 gauge Mossberg bolt action with a magazine and 30" full choke barrel.

Its only 40 years old, so its still like new.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
I'm considering the new Remington V3 that's coming out this Spring. I don't really need the 3.5" ability of the Versa Max, and the V3 has improved upon the Versa Max's abilities when it comes to handling smaller shot sizes.

Outdoor Life Review of V3

They have really good reviews, pretty sure sure that's what bassin uses.

Latest posts

Top Bottom