Waterfowl gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m gonna get back into duck hunting this year, hopefully. I sold my last duck gun a few years ago (old beat 500) so “Unfortunately” I’m back in the market.

What’s everyone shooting these days? I have had my eye on a Tristar Raptor semi auto but found mixed reviews online. I’m also thinking about just another good ole 28” Mossberg 500.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last year was my first year hunting ducks, and I was just jumpshooting them. Pretty close up stuff. Use my 20ga Beretta A400 Upland, I cant remember exacty what it was but they were 3" shells, maybe something other than steel, but not bismuth, I don't have that kinda money. The one chance I had to get close enough to actually get a good shot off I got a duck, so I say the combo works.

I recently got a good deal on a 12ga A300 Silver Mallard, which will likely be my go to duck gun from here on out.

Coach_1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Absolutely nothing wrong with a Mossberg 500. Don’t cheap out on a semiauto or you will hate it. They will jam up and not feed properly. Got a Winchester SX3 a few years back and have over 4k shells through it hunting and sporting clays and it still works like a dream. Also have a beretta a400 that’s great and my brother uses a browning maxus and loves it.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Spend the bucks on a semi-auto if you want a new semi-auto, don't go cheap here.

Guys get excited and short stroke a pump on the second shot and dont get the shot off, so they concentrate on not doing that the next time instead of concentrating on the first shot and miss lol. Eventually they get that worked out.

I tell folks O/U every time. You are guaranteed 2 shots with no chances of jamming, extraction or feeding issues no matter if it's 80⁰ or 5⁰, they don't need to be cleaned to keep working, you can still go cheap, no plugs, and probably the best part is you don't have find and pick up empties when you're done lol. There's never been a time in the last 30y where having 2 shots instead of three has cost me a limit.

The guys I hunt with shoot Beretta A400 and Benellis and for the most part they're good. Extreme cold has caused them both troubles at times, and they are gas and the other inertia. When my kids were younger before they started using an O/U, they used a 20g Winchester SX3 and it was flawless. If I were to recommend a used non O/U it would be a used SX3 in 12g or 20g.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve done my serious shotgunning with a Benelli M1 Super 90 12 ga since 1994, and it hasn’t let me down yet. I guess inflation has effected the used Benelli market, because the used ones I see for sale are listed for at least double what I paid for mine in ‘94.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve done my serious shotgunning with a Benelli M1 Super 90 12 ga since 1994, and it hasn’t let me down yet. I guess inflation has effected the used Benelli market, because the used ones I see for sale are listed for at least double what I paid for mine in ‘94.
Everything gun wise has doubled or tripled sense 94. I remember I could get a Winchester 30-30 for $200 out of Walmart or Kmart. They were going for $400 in 2004. Way more now. 2004 a Mossberg 500 out of Walmart was $200. Now an 88 costs that.

Inflation has been hitting us for many decades.

Latest posts

Top Bottom