Earthquake?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most induced earthquakes are not directly caused by hydraulic fracturing (fracking). The recent increase in earthquakes in the central United States is primarily caused by disposal of waste fluids that are a byproduct of oil production.
I think there was a time in the recent past when Oklahoma was allowing disposal of fluids from other states. I’m not sure that is still the case. But, that policy seemed like inviting a problem to me.

1Mudman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It shook my place pretty good! Damage my house some. My daughter 2 miles from the epicenter had quite a bit of damage. She had just finish a $200K remodel and then this. She is pretty upset. I guess the disposals over pumped the limits put in place because of the Cold coming and every operator wanted all the water hauled and disposed and somebody didnt heed the rules in place. Im down in W Texas and we are having huge problems drilling wells from the massive salt H2S invasion at the injection depth for disposals. Had one a few months ago literally turn the mud to salt water in 15 mins. 200bbl/hour increase in flow. We had a earthquake and the location was epicenter. My thoughts are we released alot of stored pressure. Waster water is so expensive to get rid of and different formations produce different amounts of the water. Disposal is big business in TX and every well ive drill in the past 18 months has had a influx some worse than others. Im a firm believer in these shallow formations getting pressured up and hydraulic pressure will move a lot of weight. Think of it like a hydraulic jack lifting a Semi to work on it. If the commission and rules are put in place then they need too be followed! Operators need to be held responsible for seeing that their waster water is disposed of properly. I dont know how many more of the 4.5s my house is going to take. I go home in a couple of days and will access the damage. The last reports of the disposals near Edmond, Guthrie, Arcadia and OKC the injection formation was approximately at 4,500' deep depending on elevation. Im third generation Oilfield and have son (petroleum engineer from OU) and I have always been the guy saving every drop of water I can. I think drive my wife crazy of running faucets when shes cleaning. but out in the desert areas it a precious commodity. It cost up $3000 buck to fill our tanked we shower and wash dishes ect. It non palletable and you drink it because it very hard water. Lots of these Operators in Oklahoma and Texas have big line ponds to recycle and reuse the water over and over when completing the wells. We use the water to drill the wells with so we are help all we can. A lot of well make 5 or 600 blls of oil but also make a 1000bbls of water. we haul if and filter it until it good clear water again and continue to reuse it. these well used to pretty easy too drill but the get harder as depletion and frac zone created losses money spent trying to get to were you can drill. I guess if it was easy everyone would be doing it. Sorry for the lengthy letter but I observe things and find solutions to fix problems and fresh water is precious commodaty we really need to take care of. Sorry for the ramblen. Im a concerned many worried what could be left behind that should have be addressed decades ago. Im sure the major oil compainies will come up with something to stop the earthquakes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom