Easy to work on

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRR

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife had one of the 2nd gen Ford Escapes. To change the battery you had to remove the windshield wipers.
My wife had same, first gen for about 3 weeks. I was reading owners manual and came to battery service section. Dash had to be removed to service the battery! Traded in for something else next day.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife had one of the 2nd gen Ford Escapes. To change the battery you had to remove the windshield wipers.
Talk about a pain, I had a 2017 Ford Escape. The wind shield cowl covers 75% of the battery. One needs to remove the air box and tubes to get to the front of it, then you need to carefully lift and slide the battery, The dealership wants $250 for the battery and $400 for the installation. Took me an hour and a half, not including returning the original battery. Escapes EAT batteries if you don't drive them every day. Replaced two myself and one under warranty.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a 1977 Indy Pace car (Delta 88).
Heater core began leaking and you had to take a lot of the ac box apart to get to it.
Not to mention taking the AC stuff apart.

I got to looking at it really good and I could cut a 7x2.5" piece of that ac box out right above the heater core under the hood of the car and slide it right up and out.
I had it replaced in less than 40 minutes and the top siliconed back down.

No reason to make stuff difficult to work on.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Talk about a pain, I had a 2017 Ford Escape. The wind shield cowl covers 75% of the battery. One needs to remove the air box and tubes to get to the front of it, then you need to carefully lift and slide the battery, The dealership wants $250 for the battery and $400 for the installation. Took me an hour and a half, not including returning the original battery. Escapes EAT batteries if you don't drive them every day. Replaced two myself and one under warranty.
My son is a Ford mechanic and probably works on Escapes more than anything else. From a design standpoint they leave quite a bit to be desired. Many of the issues on them require pulling the instrument panel and (if I remember correctly) that requires removal of both doors. He’s probably done a dash pull on around 30 of them and he convinced us to get rid of ours.

RangerRick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a relative that has a large Chrysler car that the battery went bad and to get to and replace the battery, one has to take off one of the front tires (I don't know which one) and remove the fender liner. A real pain.
Had an 01 Intrepid, was the right front tire, and cover was in the front of the inner wheel well. really liked that car but working on left a lot to be desired plus motor was crap, was on 2nd motor with less than 125,000 miles on it

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My son is a Ford mechanic and probably works on Escapes more than anything else. From a design standpoint they leave quite a bit to be desired. Many of the issues on them require pulling the instrument panel and (if I remember correctly) that requires removal of both doors. He’s probably done a dash pull on around 30 of them and he convinced us to get rid of ours.
My Sister, Brother in law have 2017 Escapes. My brother in law's is loaded, AWD and the 2.0 liter ecoboost. No trouble in well over 100K miles (not even a new battery!). My sister's was passed to my nephew. At 70K miles developed a blown head gasket (1.5 liter 4 cylinder ecoboost, 2 wheel drive.) Fortunately for them there was a technical service bulletin on the issue and Ford replaced the engine free of charge on a 7 year old out of warranty vehicle. Point is, dig into issues, go to the dealership, repairs do get done free in some instances.

Latest posts

Top Bottom