Electric Vehicle....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I stand to be corrected but back in the propane days, I seem to remember the propane didn't have the lube qualities of gasoline which caused premature cylinder/ring wear.

nope not exactly...propane had no lead in it so the soft valve seats in the head would peen out over time. the answer was hardened valve seats. unleaded gas did the same thing. propane has less btu than gasoline so for the same engine you lost a little power also and the old heat exchanger systems that just used the carb as a throttle body wasn't exactly perfect but it worked good enough. then came the tbi fuel systems and propane injectors and now things in the propane world are really pretty good.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't remember that, but it was primarily the drop in gasoline prices that killed the propane conversion market almost overnight. I knew several people who had propane conversions (my dad and grandpa even had their tractors running on propane), and, IIRC, it took about two equivalent units of propane for every gallon of gasoline. That worked out fine when gasoline cost about three times as much per unit, but not so much when you were looking at $1/gal gas vs. $0.60/gal equivalent for propane.

i can remember the propane tractors. at that time there was almost free propane

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Jeep Wrangler 4xe hybrid owners are reporting 58mpg/1000miles per 17 gallon tank with regular cord charging.
3VlLMTV_d.webp
Not after I get a hold of it and put proper sized tires on it.

I have a tiny range in my tj with a 19 gallon tank :). It does really well in the smiles per mile though.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you considered Natural Gas? They are incredibly efficient and the gas is cheap. I heard that electric vehicles take quite a while to charge. But for just driving around town it would probably be great. My mom and dad’s neighbor has a Toyota Prius and they love it. They have had it a few years now. It’s weird when they pull up and you can’t hear the car running like you would a gas engine. As far as I know they haven’t had any issues with it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom