Elf on the shelf

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
End-Elf-on-the-Shelf-with-Elsa.jpg

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My family had fun with it, but the kids have outgrown it.

It got friggin hard coming up with new stuff every night!

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
How is Elf on a Shelf teaching kids to lie?

I'm assuming, then, that your household has no Santa, no Tooth Fairy, no Easter Bunny and nothing you can't verify via physical and repeatable scientific methods, yes?

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have had an Elf on the Shelf for the last few years. The wife moves the elf every night during the Christmas season to a different spot. The kids, 11 & 13, have even built traps to try and capture the elf.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How is Elf on a Shelf teaching kids to lie?
It's a complex issue. But it's partly due to the fact that kids learn to do what their parents do (i.e., social learning from role models). "Do as I say, not as I do" doesn't work.

I'm assuming, then, that your household has no Santa, no Tooth Fairy, no Easter Bunny and nothing you can't verify via physical and repeatable scientific methods, yes?
I don't lie to my kids...Santa/Tooth Fairy/Easter Bunny/etc. included. "Everything" isn't based on physical/repeatable science, but we do approach life in an open-minded, evidence-based way. We present all perspectives on issues, then let the child make up their own mind. This does several things, including (a) it simplifies unnecessary complexities about life, (b) increases the child's curiosity and creativity, (c) increases the child's logic and reasoning ability, (d) increases the child's sense of personal responsibility, and (e) increases trust and respect between parent and child throughout the child's development and into adulthood.

Latest posts

Top Bottom