Elk hunting and rifles from an Oklahoma perspective.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never had the opportunity to hunt elk although it's something I've always wanted to do. In the one in a million chance I did get the opportunity I would probably take my Savage 116 FCSS Weather Warrior .30-06 and/or my .50 Beowulf because it's what I have and from everything I've read on the subject, either would work. The Beowulf would be limited to inside 200 yards, 150 preferably but definitely pack enough punch to do the job. The .30-06 has been used for quite awhile for elk so I guess it should still work. I don't have any tactics since I've never been before but that's the rifles I'd choose.

My top three hunts would be moose, bison/buffalo and elk.....I would like to hunt a buffalo with my 1873 Springfield "trapdoor" carbine .45-70. Sure it would be limited to low pressure black powder loads but if it worked back then, it oughta work now. Now that would be the hunt of a lifetime...just wish I was a wealthy doctor or lawyer so I could actually afford to do it.

two-click

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our group is leaving Oct. 15 for western Co. Two of us will be hunting unit 61 & two will be hunting unit 62 . there will be 1-30-06 , 2-300 wsm , 1-338 win mag & 1-300 wsm just in case something happens to another rifle , rifle .

I have only taken one bull elk & that was with a 300 wsm in NM. at 125 yards give or take a little .

Last edited:

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We spot and stalk our elk on the ranch in NM where we hunt. I shoot a .300 wm with 180 gr hand loaded accubonds. I have shot them at 100 yards and out. I have also killed my first bull with my .308 at 35 yards in dark timber.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I could see where you could use a long range magnum on a ranch hunt. All mine has been DIY on public land. You just gotta get away from the roads some. A fly fishing guide I know in Colorado says the good fishing starts where the beer cans disappear - you just have to walk a little bit. With my arthritis and age I can still do that (just a lot slower.)

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've killed two elk - one with .303 British, one with a 7x57. My wife killed one with a 7x57 -shot placement is always the key.

Agree. I wouldn't hesitate to use my 7mm-08 with my style hunting (up close and personal)and the right bullet.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thousands of elk have been killed with the Winchester 30-30.
Elk were originally a plains animal. Human encroachment moved them to the mountains.

It looks like they are moving back to the plains with the new Ok elk hunting areas.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use 7mm Rem Mag and 30-06.
I believe the .280 is the most under appreciated round, just never got a fair shake because of the 7 mags.
The .260 is another awesome round, but overlooked by the masses.
I have a friend who hunts elk with a Ruger #1 .243.
Not that much difference in any of the calibers. Bullet construction and placement being more important.

Latest posts

Top Bottom