Elk in the Wichita Mt NWR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fltmedic

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to be drawn for an elk tag in the WMNWR for this fall. I was wondering where on this vast wildlife area would be a good place to start looking when my hunt comes up ? Any help would be greatly appericated.

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You will be assigned a specific area. The day before the hunt your driver will take you out and let you choose a spot to use as drop off and pick up. When I was drawn, many moons ago, the drivers were all ODWC employees and seemed to be very informed about the area. They can give you some good pointers about where in your area to hunt. My suggestion would be to buy topo maps of the refuge and look for the roughest, most remote area you can get to. Good Luck!!! Elk meat is mighty tasty!

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you aren't in excellent physical shape, I'd start doing some cardio and working out! I hunt on some land down close to there and it is exhausting!

Good luck on the hunt this fall!

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You will be assigned a specific area. The day before the hunt your driver will take you out and let you choose a spot to use as drop off and pick up. When I was drawn, many moons ago, the drivers were all ODWC employees and seemed to be very informed about the area. They can give you some good pointers about where in your area to hunt. My suggestion would be to buy topo maps of the refuge and look for the roughest, most remote area you can get to. Good Luck!!! Elk meat is mighty tasty!

This, and

If you aren't in excellent physical shape, I'd start doing some cardio and working out! I hunt on some land down close to there and it is exhausting!

Good luck on the hunt this fall!

This.

Congratulations and Good Luck!!

SDS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The advice above is pretty sound. It's a neat place to hunt but not a guaranteed hunt by any means.

Good luck.

SDS

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Your info is correct, with exeption that now they give you a map. You don't have to buy one.
I went as a helper with my buddy that drew out, and went to the orientation with him.
Its not a real biggy. They explain the rules, and then let you go into the main hall where you can talk to the refuge personell that are in the area every day.
DO NOT let some magazine hunting technique or what ever blind you to what these guys tell you.
My buddy thought he knew it all from hunting in Co. and almost didn't kill his bull.
Its kind of a grey area the way they put in the rules about a helper. To me it read the hunter is allowed one hunter, but in reality you can have unlimited helpers. I met up with a guy from another town and since neither of our hunters had taken a elk, we volunteered to help bring out two others.
Good excuse to get into the hunting areas and get a look around.

Slicktricktj

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went to help when my dad got drawn 3 or 4 years ago. Definitely get a couple people to go help you if possible bad drove around the public part of the refuge while he hunted and got some of the coolest deer rutting video I've ever seen. Then when he shot his bull, we got to go into the high fence area and saw some amazing country with some really cool history. They put on a great hunt down there. Congrats on the draw.

Latest posts

Top Bottom