Energy company locks thermostats at +80 degrees for 22,000 customers during ‘energy crisis’

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here’s a good video on the subject, the whole video is good but those with a 2 minute attention span the first 5 minutes address what happening……

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
WiFi back doors… What do you think that means?

Simple fix, disconnect thermostat, install new thermostat.
Easy to override. Paper clip or jumper between red and yellow.

35F29A00-C514-469B-AB60-65BF67719100.jpeg

2CE22BE0-FB3F-4F3F-9B3B-6FB6DF622674.jpeg

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right, but in order to sell back to the grid, you have to be connected to the grid…and you’d need a large system to run a whole home HVAC during our hot summers.
I agree with your point about them being able to force it (quite literally at gunpoint), but I know someone who has been running solar in central Oklahoma for more than a decade. Just before peak hours begin, he throws a switch and disconnects his house from the electrical service and runs completely from his solar and from the battery bank he built.

Of course, he’s an engineer who designs and runs HVAC automation systems for his day job, so it’s not necessarily something just anyone could do.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with your point about them being able to force it (quite literally at gunpoint), but I know someone who has been running solar in central Oklahoma for more than a decade. Just before peak hours begin, he throws a switch and disconnects his house from the electrical service and runs completely from his solar and from the battery bank he built.

Of course, he’s an engineer who designs and runs HVAC automation systems for his day job, so it’s not necessarily something just anyone could do.
Yup, it could definitely be done but it’s not affordable or practical for a majority of homeowners at this point for sure. They will target the majority.

Fro

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

He probably also bought his system at wholesale price or free by piecemealing it a bit at a time when installing customer systems.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is true in cities as a house with no electricity can be condemned as "unlivable". Though if they tried that with me I would take them to court and ask how humanity survived until electricity was a mainstay.

However, solar panels are enough during the day as most people "sell" their unused power back to the grid. It would be during cloudy days and at night that they would not be enough without a big battery rack to store excess energy.
I could not be self sufficient with panels, but I could sell them enough juice during the day to pay for the night would be my goal, eliminate about 75% of my electricity bill

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A Message to Our Customers about Securitization Charges from Winter Storm Uri
When winter storm Uri hit Oklahoma on February 9, 2021, it hit with a fury and intensity that few expected. Most experienced meteorologists predicted mild February weather until just a few days before the storm arrived in Oklahoma.
PSO had prepared for the winter season by securing the natural gas and other energy supplies that had been reasonably necessary for typical Oklahoma winters.
Natural gas and other energy supplies quickly became constrained due to the extreme persistent cold weather. PSO made the choice to continue to put its customers safety and health first and paid the cost needed to keep the power flowing to our customers’ homes and businesses.

Natural gas costs that PSO pays to fuel our generation plants are directly “passed through” to the customer and are not subject to any sort of price manipulation. Our Oklahoma laws make that clear. Each PSO customer bill includes a line item for fuel cost. That cost is adjusted up or down depending on the actual price of natural gas in the market.
Because of the historically high prices of natural gas and other power purchases from February 9– 20, 2021, the Oklahoma Legislature created a bill that would spread out costs over multiple years so that no one Oklahoman would face an extreme cost due to this natural disaster.
Unlike Oklahoma, customers in unregulated states, like Texas, endured a deadly loss of power for days and faced skyrocketing electric bills that have doubled and continue to rise.

Beginning in September, those spread-out costs for PSO customers will be incorporated into the monthly bill, estimated to be around $5 for the average residential usage. Similar to how the normal process for how fuel costs are determined, over time, this monthly amount may be slightly adjusted up or down.

Latest posts

Top Bottom