Engine Rebuild/Replacement Suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheelgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is only one reputable shop around here. The other one just closed cause the owner retired.
The one that is still open uses Jasper engines, I believe they are all re-man engines. Their sign says a 3yr/100k mile warranty, but I have no personal experience with a Jasper engine.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
There is only one reputable shop around here. The other one just closed cause the owner retired.
The one that is still open uses Jasper engines, I believe they are all re-man engines. Their sign says a 3yr/100k mile warranty, but I have no personal experience with a Jasper engine.
Which shop? Thanks

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I lost a water pump on I-40 a while back. Toasted the engine pretty good but it ran fine after a replacement and 1500 including other minor work. About 5k later it started overheating again. I drained everything, did what I call a super ultra flush (I'm not a mechanic) replaced some sensors and used that bottled "pour in your radiator and fix your gasket leak" stuff. About a year later the only issue I have is the coolant temp sensor from AutoZone sometimes fails to report a temp.

I was going to replace with a Jasper but figured tossing 200 and a few hours was worth a gamble first and it paid off.

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My friend just went through a lot of trouble with a Jasper transmission in his dodge diesel. Cost him $6500 in Ohio while he was out with his camper, made it back home and it went out again with about 1200 miles on it. He then went to the Big Bend area in Texas and on his way back it went out again in a little town. The shop was a Jasper dealer so they changed it out again but Jasper told him he would have to pay the bill until the transmission was shipped back to them and they went through it to see what happened. And they would refund his money minus shop fees and fluid. Luckily the guy in the shop let him take it home without paying another 6500. I don't think he has ever heard from Jasper again. I wouldn't recommend them for anything, he's almost 80 and doesn't get over 65 or 70 pulling his trailer and they can't build one that will last longer 1500 miles.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know of a super simple TH350 in a certain Nova get built 3 times and was failed when I got the car.
I built it once and it out lasted 3 TQ converters.
A B&M a TCI and Boss Hog.
Wilson built me a converter and it lasted until I sold it with over 200,000 very hard miles.

A lot of these rebuild places just swap so so parts into them and believe it or not Coker used old clutches and old fluid that was strained through coffee filters.
Had a friend work there for 2 weeks and could not believe what was happening and quit.

Where would I have an engine built.
Folks machine shop in Norman.
But they do not pull them you must do that and stick it back in.

I do not know anyone that does "stocker" stuff.

Latest posts

Top Bottom