Ever see a 22lr rim explode? (Now a 2nd one)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I contacted (the new) Remington Ammo company and they requested the remaining ammo and damaged cases back. On their dime. And they are sending me some replacement ammo. They also asked if everyone was OK and assured me that if there was any damage to the rifles they would assist with repairs.

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I contacted (the new) Remington Ammo company and they requested the remaining ammo and damaged cases back. On their dime. And they are sending me some replacement ammo. They also asked if everyone was OK and assured me that if there was any damage to the rifles they would assist with repairs.
Good on them. Glad to see them standing behind their product and with a willingness to make things right

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had it happen in the last year with some of that red plastic boxed Winchester super x. Shooting it from my 10/22 VLEH. Winchester wants me to send back my boxes so they can send me a coupon.
C459DC85-52AF-437A-AFE8-6887DA43FDF1.jpeg
4323CD82-3AB6-4812-A320-093B1BFEFF8D.jpeg
7A6601A5-E2E0-40E2-9412-5DC5DF5AE6CB.jpeg

Spitfire

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always thought if you kept ammunition in a climate controlled area with low moisture (cool and dry) that it would last indefinitely. Never heard of brass becoming brittle. I would've thought primers would be the first thing to go bad. I've shot ammunition that was 20-30 years old. Never had an issue.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

So glad to hear that! They need to give Hornady some lessons in customer service!!!

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My only problem with Remington ammo (both .22LR and .410) was always failure to fire. Happened often enough that as a teenager I preferred Federal (even when Remington was cheaper) back in the '70s.

However, I'm not sure this info is even relevant 50-ish years later... :D
___

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always thought if you kept ammunition in a climate controlled area with low moisture (cool and dry) that it would last indefinitely. Never heard of brass becoming brittle. I would've thought primers would be the first thing to go bad. I've shot ammunition that was 20-30 years old. Never had an issue.

I have .22LR and shotshells that are 50+ years old. Boxes of reloads that are 40+ years old. Primers 30+ years old.
Tons of military surplus ammo being sold that is 80-100+ years old.

Never had a brass failure like these.
Bulk .22LR, new ammo, I have had duds and squibs. Happened with Remington, more with CCI, and most with Federal.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was out shooting a 1930s Stevens Model 86 22 bolt action when I got a surprise.

Only thing I can think is that it had a double charge of powder. The case rim separated and formed to the shape of the bolt face. Luckily there was no damage to me or the rifle. Watching the smoke roll out of the action was a bit surreal though.

The other 2 rounds in the pic are the next 2 that were in the magazine.

View attachment 269525View attachment 269526
View attachment 269524

I have never seen that happen before.

Latest posts

Top Bottom