Ever see a utilitie trailer come un hooked from the hitch at 60mph?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I cannot tell you how many trailers I come across every month with NO Chains or chains to light for the trailer. I see a lot of chains not crossed under the tounge... and have even come across a few with the chains crossing on TOP of the tounge

We found a trailer (two axle) and all 4 tires were different sizes.

People are stupid.

dan45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Following a pick-up pulling a 16' trailer on the turnpike last year. We were on the bike.
Trailer decided to un-hitch. Big Goldwing went from 75 to 0 in about 20'.
Scary stuff.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My boat came loose from the truck once, I lost the cotter pin that keeps the retaining pin on the hitch from coming out and the hitch worked it's way out and the boat fell to the ground, all of this at 5:30 am running 65 mph on Hwy 169 north of Owasso. Fortunately the chains were short enough to keep the tongue off of the ground. It wasn't a wild ride at all, the boat hit the end of the chains and sling shotted into the bumper, I slowed down and pulled to the shoulder. There was no damage to the truck, trailer or boat, we used the u-bolt from the spare tire mount to limp back to town.

Things I learned from this:
1. Always use a locking retainer pin and make sure that it's secure before hooking up to the trailer.
2. Cross or shorten the chains
3. Load a single axle trailer slightly nose heavy so that the trailer nose dives if it comes loose.
4. Waking up your fishing buddy with a loose trailer is good fun.

crazyfish

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Had a pontoon boat come loose once. I was at the lake with my now wife's family. We had been out fishing on the pontoon boat. Came back to load it up on the trailer. As we usually did, we all stayed on the boat while the grand dad pulled us out. Normally we all stayed on and he would pull us back to the cabin which was only 3 blocks away. The ramp is pretty steep and as he's pulling us up, the hitch pops off and we go flying down towards the water. Luckily there were two trees next to the ramp and the boat motor hit right between them and stopped the boat from going into the water. Come to find out that the grandpa's truck had both a 1 7/8 and 2 inch ball. He said it was too hard to get it to latch on the 2 inch, so he just put it on the smaller ball that morning.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My FIL had the trailer with his bass boat come unhitched while going down Hwy 64 toward Pawnee. The trailer passed him in the oncoming traffic lane, narrowly missed a Corvette, and climbed a tree. The boat and trailer were totalled. My FIL was relieved it did not hit the Corvette.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
New an older gentleman from Northern OK who was a custom wheat cutter. He would pull a combine header trailer with the header on it all the way to eastern Montana, the hitch on the trailer had no guts in it and no safety chains. When questioned, his reply was, " tongue weight will keep it on there, just have to go slow over the railroad tracks".:smash:

Latest posts

Top Bottom