Everybody stay on guard this afternoon and night.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is Oklahoma where losing power to storms isn't an isolated incident. Get a generator, get it wired in correctly, and settle in for the long haul.

I passed a pickup earlier tonight on 169, hauling two new portable generators in the bed. The manufacturer’s tags were flapping in the wind on top of the units.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the four years since we have lived here, this is the first time we have been without power. I am glad we have the generator now.
It is concerning that many of the gas stations are out of fuel. We visited 5-6 this afternoon before we found one with fuel. Some had no power, most had power but no fuel. How do we live in the oils capital of the world but unable to keep ground tanks full?
Did your power come back? Mine came on 8:15 or so (after I finished installing a window unit lol)

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hospitals, Nursing homes, anything to do with medical or health gets first priority to get their service restored. Tulsa had 15 or so substations damaged with hundreds of poles down and lines on the ground. I heard today that 12 had been repaired but the mid town area may not recover power until the weekend.
What normally happens is that when a disaster hits, the utility company's offer shared resources where line crews are sent to swarm an area and get it back as soon as possible.
What happened in this situation is that the storm caused damage from Lawton to Kansas City. Every municipality is dealing with their own issues to get service back to their customers with no crews to be shared.
In the past, I've seen line crews from Miami Florida in Oklahoma for tornado damage recovery, and we send our crews to them when hurricanes impact that area.
We drove from Ponca to Broken Arrow today. Lots of roofs in Sand Springs gone, and trees down everywhere.
This is Oklahoma where losing power to storms isn't an isolated incident. Get a generator, get it wired in correctly, and settle in for the long haul.
Yep, my kids best friends dad is a lineman. He travels all over the country at times where there are large natural disasters and will be gone for weeks and months at a time repairing the power lines/grid that storms took out. He make an incredible amount of money during those stints. He is really the only guy I know that could legitimately say he worked 120 hours a week for weeks on end and it really happened. Everyone else if full of chit. But he was highly compensated for it.

Also hear from several people that Cushing clocked wind speeds near 98mph. Some crazy stuff for sure.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the four years since we have lived here, this is the first time we have been without power. I am glad we have the generator now.
It is concerning that many of the gas stations are out of fuel. We visited 5-6 this afternoon before we found one with fuel. Some had no power, most had power but no fuel. How do we live in the oils capital of the world but unable to keep ground tanks full?
It’s like waiting until the shooting starts to look for ammo.

The fuel station tanks hold a few days to a weeks worth depending on the location. Once the the power is dead to half of them the rest of them get a run plus everyone with generators that usually buy 15 gallons a week buy a months worth it will disappear pretty quick. You can’t live anywhere in the US without the risk of a natural disaster every decade or so. Here sometimes they are winter time sometimes they are summer time.
It’s best to keep about 20 gallons put up and a generator. A dual fuel generator is the better option with a propane bottles and you won’t have to rotated the gasoline.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know back in the day OG&E had rotating shifts when something like this happen you worked 12 on 8 off til the job was done or you got moved someplace else.
Somebody told me today that he knows a lineman for PSO who told him that they were told to expect to work six sixteens until the damage is fixed.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somebody told me today that he knows a lineman for PSO who told him that they were told to expect to work six sixteens until the damage is fixed.
That is very possibly correct in today world since most companies are cutting back on employees i now the OG&E station here has 1/2 as many employees than they did 20 years ago and they aint allowed to do regular maintance on the lines has to wait for it to go down before working on them

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just a comment. I installed a mini-split for the master bedroom. In times of power loss it can be run with
a small generator. I use a 2000 watt Yamaha to run it and two refrigerators. But I still have larger generator
if needed. The mini is 9000BTU and pulls about 9 amps with a very low starting current to boot.
We turn the 4 ton down stairs unit off at night and run the mini at 72 degrees. Then when needed run the 4 ton.

Latest posts

Top Bottom