External Safeties on Striker Fired Weapons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think I said anything that isn't kosher or acceptable. Until someone presents a credible lethal threat to me or mine I am not going to do so to them. Once they are a credible and lethal threat I will meet that with reasonable force. If they were to somehow read my draw and surrender before I shoot them, they are no longer that deadly threat and I will not shoot them. If there is any chance of me leaving a situation I feel might become lethal I will take it. If I'm able to not shoot someone and come out unscathed I will always choose that option. Even good shoots can be caught up in years-long legal battles.

The best tool for a self defender is your brain, followed by your senses. Pay attention. Like John Correia of ASP says "Attention buys you time and time buys you options"
This is actually reasonable and is close to what I said. Just a thought, but I believe the poster you are responding to is under the impression that you are the gentleman who said this

Besides, my gun doesn't leave the holster unless it is time to go bang, so no reasonable need for a safety in my situation.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am genuinely confused about what phrase you're unsettled by. How about a direct quote of the sentence that is throwing you off, because this whole nebulous critique thing isn't really working for me. If it is the "get his mind right" thing, well, that's just a saying - it has no specific meaning relating to how the guy feels about politics or pie flavors. It is more like if a guy is posing a credible lethal threat to me, his mind isn't right, because I mind my business and don't put myself in situations where someone would be justified in killing me.
In an early post you said
“If my gun comes out I am shooting”
That’s all I am referring to.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"In the vast majority of defensive gun uses, a shot is never fired."

Why do you think that is?

Does the goodguy not properly understand the situation and draws before he needs to or does the badguy not really want to fight and is betting on intimidation?
Because the bad guy seeing that you can and likely will, resist breaks off his activity, and shooting is not needed. Bad guys want low risk, easy marks, and I have heard people like Massad Ayoob say that criminals have said to him that they have changed their minds about a particular victim because they saw or believed that the person was armed.

AguaFriaRanger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In an early post you said
“If my gun comes out I am shooting”
That’s all I am referring to.
I understand and see how that could seem like it doesn't line up with my follow-up posts. I was not trying to make it sound like if the pistol comes out it MUST fire, like some sort of honor-bound katana unsheathing shtick, but rather I would not draw unless I felt I needed to use it, as I explained in my later posts.

This is actually reasonable and is close to what I said. Just a thought, but I believe the poster you are responding to is under the impression that you are the gentleman who said this

Besides, my gun doesn't leave the holster unless it is time to go bang, so no reasonable need for a safety in my situation.
I understand where that poster was coming from but I do think it is unsafe to carry pistols that were designed around being carried in condition 1 in condition 0. Guns like the Glock, CZ P10, HK VP9, etc, have all had a lot of engineering behind making them safe to carry condition 0. Not that you don't know that, that is just my rationale for why I am not concerned about the lack of a manual safety on them.

AguaFriaRanger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A good friend of mine carries his Glock 36 chamber empty. I have tried numerous times to sway him but he won't change his mind.
I've always compared Israeli carry to thinking you can put your seat belt on during a car crash. If you need your pistol, it needs to be ready to go. If you need your seatbelt, it needs to be buckled. If you are going to a place you think you NEED a gun, don't go. If you are driving in a manner that makes you think you NEED your seatbelt, don't do that. Etc Etc.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've always compared Israeli carry to thinking you can put your seat belt on during a car crash. If you need your pistol, it needs to be ready to go. If you need your seatbelt, it needs to be buckled. If you are going to a place you think you NEED a gun, don't go. If you are driving in a manner that makes you think you NEED your seatbelt, don't do that. Etc Etc.
That's his justification for doing it. Because the Israelis do.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
A good friend of mine carries his Glock 36 chamber empty. I have tried numerous times to sway him but he won't change his mind.
I knew a chief of police that did that after he shot his ass. He still swears his finger wasn't on the trigger when he was holstering. Maybe not but something was.

ricco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it's a worry carry a revolver

Point gun, pull trigger

Much easier than rack slide, point gun, pull trigger

If it's a worry carry a revolver

As an aside, average human reaction reaction time is .25 second, so if the bad guy is already pointing a pistol at you and he see's your draw he will fire in .25 second..............have a nice day.

AguaFriaRanger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's his justification for doing it. Because the Israelis do.
They implemented the policy shortly after WW2 and it was an out-of-date practice then. We've made drop-safe pistols since then. Especially for people who probably don't train their draw as often as they should (or ever), that extra second or so it is going to take you to get into condition 0 is maybe going to kill you. It also removes any chance you have of a counter-ambush due to the time and the sound. Blah blah I don't have to convince you, you know. I will never understand it though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom