Factory nickel 28-2 pinned and recessed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What page in the “Book” is it on?

Page 196 of the 3rd edition of the Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson.

I guess it was just (5) made with a satin nickel finish, after the run of (25) for the FHP.

20230824_164018.jpg

I'd also like to correct that I had previously stated a .375" hammer width...it is .400".

At one point a few years ago I was really into old S&W revolvers. I managed to acquire about one of every common model until I finally lost interest.

Unfortunately my knowledge has diminished to where I'm just dangerous now. At least I know where to go to find the correct info though 😄.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sure looks like a 6" Mod 28, refinished in hard chrome. Surface of 28's was brush and matte blue; this one appears to be lightly blasted prior to chrome. NYSP 28's from the factory had RR front sight and TH. Standard 28's were plain ramp front, with .265 serrated trigger and standard hammer. Often users would swap in TT and TH's.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Page 196 of the 3rd edition of the Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson.

I guess it was just (5) made with a satin nickel finish, after the run of (25) for the FHP.

View attachment 404839

I'd also like to correct that I had previously stated a .375" hammer width...it is .400".

At one point a few years ago I was really into old S&W revolvers. I managed to acquire about one of every common model until I finally lost interest.

Unfortunately my knowledge has diminished to where I'm just dangerous now. At least I know where to go to find the correct info though 😄.

Thanks, I wanted to read it when I got home!

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sure looks like a 6" Mod 28, refinished in hard chrome. Surface of 28's was brush and matte blue; this one appears to be lightly blasted prior to chrome. NYSP 28's from the factory had RR front sight and TH. Standard 28's were plain ramp front, with .265 serrated trigger and standard hammer. Often users would swap in TT and TH's.

And bead blasted.

mr.haney

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All I know for sure is that I really like the pistol no matter what she is. Action is super smooth and silky. She sleeps beside me and I will probably never part with her. I love all the comments and opinions keep them coming. Whatever the letter says I will let you guys know.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I realize the letter could be a fake but either way it’s a pinned and recessed 28-2 in beautiful condition. I plan on contacting Smith tomorrow for my own letter. But I have 400.00 invested and couldn’t be happier.
$400?

Arrest this man for being a thief!