Family First

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoomaster1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're a contractor not an employee. If your job can be handled off site, on a keyboard, them tell them you will be available off-site. They don't own you as they do an employee. Also go up the chain of command, especially your boss' boss. The further up the exec ladder you go, usually the more understanding you will get when you explain why you need the time.

I agree with this. But , if worst case comes true, an illness could also be landing with your sister and husband. Sure hope you enjoy your time with them.

AGI

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I say call in sick! Had to do the same thing a few times when my sister came to visit from Germany.
Family comes first no matter what!

Hope you get it figured out man.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As many of you know, in 2007 I found out I had family in South Africa. Went there for the first time in 2009 and then again in October of 2010 to walk my sister down the isle as our father (whom I've never met) has passed away and she wanted me to be the one to "give her away."

Fast forward to today. Her long time dreams of visiting the states are over, she will be landing in Tulsa tomorrow morning. The only problem is, I'm stuck at work and they are only allowing me to have off 3 days next week. Her and her husband will be here 9 more days following that.

So, spending time with my new family, introducing them to my side of my family and such, may mostly take place without my presence as I sit at my desk and my precious wife does most all of that.

I'm certainly very upset about all of this. Have lost my appetite, my desire to do much of anything else and my wonderful sister and her husband have no clue about any of it. They will be staying with us in our home and I guess they'll get to see me come and go for work and then on the Saturday and Sunday I'm off.

Sorry, but I'm just really upset right now. They all deserve better than this and I can't offer them anything. The corporation in which I'm a contractor for believes my presence at the office is more important than this once in a lifetime opportunity for my family. I'll resent them until I find another opportunity elsewhere. And my exit will be deservingly epic.

There's much more important things in life. Despite that, I'm a hard worker and know the importance of doing a good job. But this is just over the top. I have the funds to live life without work for a while but walking out with no guarantees in the future, with a mortgage and other financial responsibilities would be irresponsible.

It's so angering, saddening and depressing and I hate feeling this helpless. That's the worst part.

Bad deal!
I would not call sick, if somebody sees you out when you are supposed to be in, it is a firing offense. Being a contractor could be different and might only result in losing a good reference in the future.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, I would tell them that you need the time off and that given you're a contractor, you hope you'll be able to do that without it jeopordizing your status.

Let them know that you are there for them every time that they have asked you to be and you need their support of your situation now.

If you are refused, ask if they have a policy for escalating your request to the next highest authority. Be police, sincere and do so in a way that let's them know without saying so that your agreement with them is a two way street.

I'm hoping this isn't one of those situations where they are skirting around employment law by calling you a contractor when in fact you're performing a job as an employee. Too many companies do this today in an effort to not be responsible at many levels both financial and otherwise and it's not only wrong, it's against the law for them to do it.

Good luck man... I hope you can get it worked out to your benefit.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Think of it this way, if you didn't have such MaddSkillz, your presence wouldn't be so valuable. :doh:

I am sure your family will do just fine with whatever time you have. Just make the time you have as valuable as possible.

And although making a memorable exit seems like a good idea just remember, you will be a faint memory in 3 months but the future reference from your current employer may prove more valuable than 10 minutes of satisfaction...

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your boss is not only a douche, but a moron, go over his head and if that doesn't work, end your relationship with the company and enjoy your very limited family time....do you really want to work with people that have this little respect for you?

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Your boss is not only a douche, but a moron, go over his head and if that doesn't work, end your relationship with the company and enjoy your very limited family time....do you really want to work with people that have this little respect for you?

That's very much how I feel. I'm currently busting my a$$ trying to find another job somewhere that way I can just leave this place, spend time with family and then go start the new job.

They arrive at the airport this morning and I can't be there to pick them up (my wife will be doing that). I feel sick.

Latest posts

Top Bottom